How much absorption is enough - or too much?

John Davis

Many of us have been impressed by the capacity of ultraabsorbent premium diapers.  Most of us are familiar with NorthShore Care's MegaMax diaper with a max absorption of 6,500ml.  I wear that one myself.  The Trest Elite briefs claim an astounding 9,500ml max capacity.😲

Of course, useable capacity is much less than the maximum absorbency, often around 30% to 35% of the maximum in a premium diaper.  But, how much do we really need?  Along with that extra absorption comes the penalty of increased bulk and weight.  Many reviews report tapes popping long before the maximum capacity is reached.

How much useable capacity do incontinents need?  I emphasize the word "incontinents" as, on most other forums, the discussion is swayed by the ABDL members who often promote high absorbency for its own sake.  So, how much useable absorbency do the members of this forum really need?

--John

Well for me, I always boost my Northshore Megamax diapers because I always want to make sure I get a full day's use of the diaper. I wear Northshore Megamax diapers with 4 boosters to make sure I can last for the whole day. In many instances, I have had tapes pop off before reaching capacity and that maybe to do improper taping or maxing out the diaper.

Total diaper absorbency is measured by an International Organization of Standards ISO (not IOS) rating. They take a diaper laid out flat and slowly add water until it leaks. Obviously that isn't a real-world test, but if you think about it it, this does eliminate factors like flooding versus a constant dribble, how well it fits a given person, their activity, and so on.

Me personally, I've found most diapers have a usable rate closer to %50 of their ISO ratng. But whatever the actual percentage it does give everyone a good idea for comparison. Plus, I never invite disaster by trying to take them to their leak point anyways. So say a diaper has a 5000ml ISO, for me I'd never take it pass 2000ml.

And yes, as an incontinent person I do want something that can last me a full work day (and then some for that margin of error). Which eliminates many logistical and personal issues I may otherwise encounter while at work. At 2+ liters per day, that works out to 1 daytime diaper and 1 nighttime diaper (that I keep on for a couple hours until I take my morning shower).

• Like 1

Oh, another factor to consider. A larger ISO rating means you will go through fewer diapers per day. Which lowers your overall cost. I have found a high ISO rated diaper actually costs me lesss than "cheaper" diapers- when looked at on a cost-per-day basis.

Of course, saving money on medical supplies is a necessity. But it also needs to be balanced with maintaining good hygiene. It may sound counter intuitive, but staying well hydrated (with almost clear or lightly yellow pee) doesn't damage the skin or smell anywhere near as bad. So again, a higher ISO rating is going to be needed here too.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Slomo said:

And yes, as an incontinent person I do want something that can last me a full work day (and then some for that margin of error). Which eliminates many logistical and personal issues I may otherwise encounter while at work. At 2+ liters per day, that works out to 1 daytime diaper and 1 nighttime diaper (that I keep on for a couple hours until I take my morning shower).

That's why for me, I look for a diaper that can last a full day. Even with a booster, it can last me for until the next morning. It's why I tend to prefer ABDL diapers over plain, cheap ones. 

For me a comfortable number for a daytime diaper is 3500-5000ml.  This is a Betterdry or Megamax.  For nightime use those Super Diapers like the Incontrol or others that claim 7500 and above work well for me.  I can wear one diaper without need of booster pad and can last all night on most occasions.  

And yes, I do use far fewer diapers than i have in the past wearing Abena, or Molicares.  I generally only need to change 2x a day and once at night.  compared to 5-6 times with the lesser capacity diapers.  I could have stretched the use but I value feeling dry, and keeping rashes from forming.  The high absorbent diapers are the only ones that seems to fit into my regime in that regard.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Zombie_Turtle said:

And yes, I do use far fewer diapers than i have in the past wearing Abena, or Molicares.  I generally only need to change 2x a day and once at night.  compared to 5-6 times with the lesser capacity diapers.  I could have stretched the use but I value feeling dry, and keeping rashes from forming.  The high absorbent diapers are the only ones that seems to fit into my regime in that regard.

That's why when I was wearing Abena in the past, I would go through 2 to 4 diaper changes. Compare that to NorthShore Megamax diapers, I'm now down to 2 to 3 diaper changes. The High Absorbency and adding boosters to my megamax diapers helps me keep the diaper changes down to a minimum. In some cases, I can make a diaper last all day unless I leak or poop in them. It's why the minute I leak or poop in my diaper, I change right away because I try to keep diaper rashes away from me and limit any possibility of developing a diaper rash. It's why High end diapers and boosters fit well with me and work very well as well.

11 hours ago, John Davis said:

How much useable capacity do incontinents need?  I emphasize the word "incontinents" as, on most other forums, the discussion is swayed by the ABDL members who often promote high absorbency for its own sake.  So, how much useable absorbency do the members of this forum really need?

Good question.  Before the relatively recent introduction of high capacity adult disposable diapers, I couldn't find any disposable diapers that could handle my overnight output - when it hit....  That was on the order of about 24 oz in one round prior to BPH related issues, and if I was really hydrated might need to take a second round (or slightly less due to not necessarily completing (turning off the faucet) the mictrition cycle until I woke up and changed....  This is a major reason I quickly went to cloth diapers.  For trips, vacation, etc.  that is a hassle and attempted to use the better disposable products out there, with only partial success till recently.  (However with proper planning, cloth diapers worked on a longer vacation.)

With the current round of higher capacity diapers, I find I need more of the padding up front.  I suspect I could take a high capacity doubler (i.e. Tykables or ABU, etc.) and use a cheaper diaper that had good leak guards and properly fit me and get away with it.  I haven't tried that yet. 

Without the doubler, I find even the Mega Max or some of the other high capacity could leak on me.  With the doublers, it keeps it more up front and doesn't get to running loose....  So, it depends on the distribution of the absorbent material.  And as  male, I need it up front.  And my Mega Max diapers are from when they were listed as 5000 ml, not the newer higher capacity....  I suspect the cut isn't exactly right for my use....  Haven't played with disposables recently as I keep them on hand for emergencies, travel and longer vacation, and its been about a year since I played in this area. 

I haven't tried it yet, but I think the Trest is over kill for capacity.  And most of these disposables don't properly protect the sides like a cloth diaper will, providing potential areas for escape when a high volume quick void hits.  I've found with a high capacity double up front things work better.  I guess I need to try 4x of NorthShore's doubler as that would be about the equivalent of the Tykables doubler.  I know a single (or double) North Shore doubler didn't completely work for me either (at night).

At night I wear a Better Dry with a highly absorbent booster pad rated at 1,000 ml.  So, with Better dry rated at 5,300 plus the booster pad, that is 6,300 total capacity (the same as  a Megamax unboosted).  With that absorbency I wake up with the diaper not having leaked or having slightly leaked but that caught by my plastic pants.  

--John

• Like 2

Better safe than soggy…

Sounds like you've learned via experience. 🙂

I am fairly new with the super absorbent diapers but I am so far a fan.  My latest observation is that I was able to wear one diaper, with no booster, all night, and still wearing it while I enjoy some morning coffee.  I still feel relatively dry, and the front panel up by my belly button isn't saturated, and still bone dry at the top.  This is nice because in the past the need to change before a leak, or just being uncomfortable would drive me to get out of bed.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Davis said:

Zombie, that is nice when you can have a leisurely period in the morning and enjoy your coffee before having to change your night diaper.  You begin your day much better that way.

--John

I couldn’t agree more. I try to keep to a routine in the morning: meds and coffee first, followed by a shower and a fresh diaper. As long as I havent leaked, I am golden.

• Like 2