Do You Wake Up At Night To Pee?

John Davis

If you pee in your diaper at night, do you wake up?  If you do not fully wake up, are you half-way aware of what is happening or do you completely sleep through the urination?  Do you deliberately pee in your diaper at night?

I do both.  Sometimes I am completely unaware that I have peed.  At other times I am unaware that I have started peeing and wake up when I sense the pee running down my thighs.  More often I am aware of what has happened and then fall back asleep.

I must admit that sometimes I wake up needing to pee, just do it in my diaper and fall asleep again.  If I get up and go to the toilet, I usually will not be able to get back to sleep.  I discussed this with my urologist and he agreed that sleep was the priority.🙂

—John

It depends on what position I'm sleeping in. I tend to be a side sleeper, which can put just enough pressure on my urethra and pinch it closed. When that happens I will wake up needing to pee. Usually a good deep breath is all it takes to make me pee. Otherwise I'm functionally incontinent and will just wake up already wet.

• Like 1

On the rare occasion when I wake up needing to pee, the most lightly outcome is that I will wet myself some time between getting out of bed and shuffling groggily to the toilet. So,I just adjust my pillow, turn over and go back to sleep.

• Like 2

what Slomo and Dan said.  If something is blocking the plumbing a severe bladder spasm will wake me up and if I move slightly I will flood immediately. This really sucks as I can only host a few oz before my bladder throws a fit.  Thankfully it doesn't happen that much but it's also a concern if I ever re-gained some control and wanted to re-train my bladder to not wear diapers, nighttime would be a big problem,

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Zombie_Turtle said:

what Slomo and Dan said.  If something is blocking the plumbing a severe bladder spasm will wake me up and if I move slightly I will flood immediately. This really sucks as I can only host a few oz before my bladder throws a fit.  Thankfully it doesn't happen that much but it's also a concern if I ever re-gained some control and wanted to re-train my bladder to not wear diapers, nighttime would be a big problem,

I know right. It's like we're fully incontinent so just drain already. I don't need bladder spasms in top of it, let alone being woken up too. It's like the worst of both worlds.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, emily1890 said:

I am a really light sleeper. my diaper crackles and I'm awake. I really need more sleep, but don't get much... more than an hour a night is what I'd consider a miracle

Wow, that's not good. I've fallen into that same pattern a bunch of times too. Have you tried OTC or prescription sleep aids? I found ZzzQuil really helps me whenever I get a bout of insomnia. I take it for 2-4 nights in a row and each night I'll get about 5 hours of sleep. After that my body seems to have reset with no more insomnia (for a time). The only "down side" is I'm guaranteed to wake up wet too.

19 hours ago, emily1890 said:

I am a really light sleeper. my diaper crackles and I'm awake. I really need more sleep, but don't get much... more than an hour a night is what I'd consider a miracle

Wow, I'm a heavy sleeper and I know I am known to snore like a pug

• Haha 1

Well, since I learned that the bladder needs a minute more to spasm when I roll to the side in stead of getting up I’m mostly able to use a bed bottle. So normally I don’t sleep in diaper if I’m at home and I’m pretty happy that at last this still works…

• Like 1

At this point, if I get a good nights rest, and am properly hydrated, when I wake up in the morning I'll have a wet diaper that I don't remember when it happened.

On a rare occasion, if my sleep  is disturbed, well, I might be "aware" of some things going on, but I'll typically still be wet in the morning because my maximum functional capacity has been reduced due to impact of BPH....  And I get better sleep if I don't try to make it to the bathroom to empty the bladder at night.

• Like 1