Front Plastic "Landing Zones"

John Davis

There has been a trend for premium diapers to feature front plastic panels or “landing zones” for taping.  The rationale is that the plastic panel permits numerous secure re-tapings.

Do you need to retape your diaper several times to get it on right?  This probably is something that applies more to diaper newbies.

Do you untape your diaper to pee and then tape it back up?

Personally, I hate them.  I don’t really need plastic panel as I don’t remove my diaper to pee and I never get the tapes wrong when I put the diaper on.

Diapers with landing zones do not have lower tapes that are low enough to permit a snug fit around the legs.😕

However, my biggest reason is that once I fold the extra diaper plastic inside the waistband, the folded front plastic panel causes irritation at my waistline, sometimes leading to a rash.😱

—John

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of tape landing zones either. Mostly because it forces the lower tapes to be positioned much higher, usually at the middle. This "no lower tapes" design means I will never get a snug fit around my legs, which directly translates into premature leaks.

I never worry about tape positioning, having long ago memorized where the tapes need to end up for a good fit (Crinklz prints really help with this). I just put the tape in that same spot, and viola. Instant good fit.

I'm functionally urinary incontinent, so there is no untaping my diaper to go pee. But when I need to go number 2 I just pull my diaper down and do my business. Though my diapers have elastic waist bands, and I don't have large hips so I can do that. In the end it's very seldom I ever need to redo a tape.

• Like 1

I like the landing zone diapers.  I didn't like how they scraped my hips until I found a way to position the tapes that works for me.  I pull the extra plastic out the bottom of the waistband by the legs and position the lower tapes at an upward angle close to the top tapes. this makes it so the lower tape rests on the extra plastic where my hips bend so the tape doesn't touch my skin.  

That was my only real qualm with them.  i like the snug fit that doesn't stretch and sag easily  Most of the brands are also the super capacity ones also and that's what mostly determines my purchase of them. 

• Like 1

It amazes me how incredibly diverse and differently shaped everyone's bodies are. A diaper that's a guaranteed fail for one person will be a guarantee win for the next person. Though unfortunately for anyone starting out that means a LOT of trial and error finding the right diaper. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Slomo said:

It amazes me how incredibly diverse and differently shaped everyone's bodies are. A diaper that's a guaranteed fail for one person will be a guarantee win for the next person. Though unfortunately for anyone starting out that means a LOT of trial and error finding the right diaper. 

That's why some diapers are great for those who have wider hips and others are great with those who have narrower hips 

On the rare occasion I wear a disposable (high capacity) diaper, during the day I do try  to use the toilet, so either I need enough give in an elastic waste band to get the diaper down or I need to un-tape and tape back up afterwords.  So, yes, now that BPH has added a daytime component, I prefer disposables that I can re-tape after using the toilet. 

This has been interesting.  Once I tape on my diaper it stays on - period.  I do not untape and retape the diaper.  Back when I tried to pee in the toilet, I would pull my penis under a leg gather rather than untaping the diaper.   When I started this topic I underestimated the percentage of incontinents who untape and retape their diapers in order to use the toilet.

--John

• 5 weeks later...

After a rash developed under a skin fold, I have included a breathable diaper in my daily "ensemble."  A major factor in my search for a breathable diaper has been to find one that does NOT have a front plastic taping panel.  If it has such a plastic panel, it causes irritation after I fold the unused plastic back inside the waist.  After some experimentation I have been using the Northshore Care Megamax Air that I regard as possibly the best breathable diaper on the market.🙂

However, following the general trend of diaper manufacturers of premium diapers to add a landing zone panel, Northshore Care now offers the Megamax AirLock with the plastic panel and has dropped the Megamax Air completely.😱

To replace the Megamax Air, I currently am trying the Seni Super Quatro.  Is there another quality breathable without the plastic panel?  It needs to have a respectable absorbent capacity.

--John

As I continue to experiment, I now am checking out the Abena Premium Slip Premium and the Incontrol Active Air.  Previously I checked out the Semi Super Quatro and found it to be acceptable.

The Incontrol Active Air has an ISO of 4350 (size XL) and lists a "capacity" of 4200 ml in size Medium ( am wearing size L.  The Abena. lists a "total absorbency" of 4320 ml.  So, the two are reasonably similar in terms of capacity.  

The Abena has a very thin breathable shell - so thin that it feels 'flimsy" to me (recall that I am used to the MegaMax Air) but it has performed adequately so far.  The Incontrol Active Air does have a front taping panel, but it seems softer to me than that used on the MegaMax Airlock and did not cause irritation at the top of the diaper after I folded the excess inside.

I should note that I am evaluating these diapers for daytime wear.  At night I will continue to wear my BetterDry plastic-shell diapers (with a booster pad).

--John