Experience

david49

Sometimes I don't have enough diapers and have to go to a medical store to buy a pack while waiting to receive my next order. This is not the first time that I have encountered a saleswoman who insistently advises me something other than diapers, thinking that it is better for me. This week she advised me to try a condom catheter connected to a urine bag. I came out with my package but the conversation with this woman was really painful.

Have you ever met this kind of person who knows better than you how to protect yourself against your incontinence ? have you experienced this type of situation?

• Like 1

It's been a long time since I have bought diapers at a medical supply store, but I don't remember anyone trying to get me to buy something else, beyond a possible "Have you tried?" Definitely nothing insistent. Most were helpful in choosing the right diaper, if they had a selection.

• Like 1

I once had a group of three urologists coercing me to change from diapers to condom catheters.  They refused to listen when I told them that I actually had tried more condom catheters than they knew about and that they were not a good choice for me.  I have made them work but, when they fail, it can be a catastrophic failure with urine running onto the floor or your friend's expensive oriental rug.  I usually can hide a diaper failure.

I am not against condom catheters as they work well for many.  I respect users as there is a learning curve that goes along with that choice.

--John

• Like 1

Just met with a new Uro and I think I will continue to use him.  I was there for a reason other than incontinence but we did check in about it.   He didn't press me about trying this or that, as he could probably see everything in my chart that I have done.  He also was the first one I encountered that gave an honest answer about some of the treatments I've been considering. My guess is he doesn't have any skin in the game with the medical device companies.  Anyhow, it was refreshing to find a doctor that didn't want to try to solve my problems, or inadvertently make me feel abnormal, or pity me. So that was nice.

• Like 1

Every urologist who has seen me regarding my incontinence has recommended that I use a condom catheter or some other device - anything except diapers. As a result of their insistence, I have tried condom catheters on several occasions, but I strongly prefer wearing a diaper because diapers are more comfortable in my opinion and ingender less anxiety about obvious failures than condom catheters. My incontinence has led to a number of embarrassing experiences over the years, but the worst catastrophe involved a condom catheter. I was attending a social gathering at my boss's mansion and bumped my leg against the corner of a coffee table, which caused a nearly full bag of urine to burst and dump a half pint or so of pee onto an antique Persian carpet. I was mortified. I've had many diaper leaks, but a diaper leak never dumps that much urine on to the floor. And since I always dark coloured trousers, most diaper leaks are not obvious to casual observers.

• Like 2

Inconinmiss hit the nail on the head.  One day I was being examined by three highly qualified urologists who kept insisting that I stop using diapers and use a catheter.  I explained to them that I had successfully used five different catheter systems but preferred diapers.  I explained that when one has a failure with a catheter system it often is a catastrophic failure with urine on the floor (possibly on your host's expensive oriental rug).  With a diaper I usually can hide a failure and that a failure for me is very infrequent.  They refused to listen and I left.

Plus, consider that I am double incontinent.  The bowel incontinence would keep me in a diaper anyway.

--John

• Like 2

• 1 month later...