'No diapers" hospitals

John Davis

I have read about "no diapers" hospitals.  They neither provide diapers nor will they change yours if you bring them.  Patients have to pee and poop on a Chux pad.  

The reason given for this is to preserve the patients' skin health as that supposedly would be endangered if they wore a diaper.  Presumably, anyone wearing a diaper will get diaper rash and that will make the hospital look bad.  Personally, I think the reason is sheer profit💸💰.  They save the cost of nursing time required to change diapers while subjecting the patient to humiliation and emotional stress.

Has anyone encountered one of these or anything similar?

--John

11 minutes ago, John Davis said:

I have read about "no diapers" hospitals.  They neither provide diapers nor will they change yours if you bring them.  Patients have to pee and poop on a Chux pad.  

The reason given for this is to preserve the patients' skin health as that supposedly would be endangered if they wore a diaper.  Presumably, anyone wearing a diaper will get diaper rash and that will make the hospital look bad.  Personally, I think the reason is sheer profit💸💰.  They save the cost of nursing time required to change diapers while subjecting the patient to humiliation and emotional stress.

Has anyone encountered one of these or anything similar?

--John

@John Davis

I have never heard of such a hospital that wouldn't have diapers for their patients, nor would they take care of that for their patients.  " No diaper hospitals" to me would be kinda silly. Regardless of how many times people go in and out of the hospital, there will be people that are very sick, most people may need a services of a nurse to change them. This also may be due to incontinent or nerve damage or whatever else is causing a problem for an individual. just like somebody can't take all the diapers away because they may not be in favor of it, there always is a reason to have a diaper, there are reasons to want to wear a diaper, medical reasons even, So anyone who would think that a no diaper hospital would be a good thing is kind of silly.

As far as the diaper rash and other things that happen, Those things are going to happen, and that is only because of the fact that if you leave a person in a diaper too long, the urine and fecal matter that you are sitting in is acidic, and would cause an acidic reaction with your skin, which causes the red blotches and everything else, as well as to be uncomfortable, And I can tell you that being wet from head to toe is not a good thing, and also being wet down below is no fun if you take your diaper off and you are uncomfortable. You end up taking care of that as soon as possible.

My main concern is that there are people who have to wear diapers for whatever reason. they use the most cheapest diapers that they can get, And somebody in an insurance company somewhere that makes big Bucks common It's probably taking compensation or something is, is making recommendations that diapers need to be changed every two hours, which is a good thing, so somebody doesn't get a rash, but of course the diapers that they give you don't even last two hours, which makes a customer, which is a patient in this case, very uncomfortable and it is not the fault of the customer or the patient In this case that they cannot hold what they're supposed to hold, they are incontinent or do not have the control, which is why it is called incontinence.

I have been in hospitals myself, many times, so many times I could probably make $100 every time that I remember all the time that I spent there $100 a day times the number of times I've been in the hospital would make me a millionaire. The idea that somebody would have to use the bathroom in a chuck is ridiculous, since even though a Chuck is supposed to be absorbent, it is nowhere near as absorbent as a diaper, and is not designed for that for that type of release. even if you have a good Chuck, it might keep the mess contained, but a truck is not a diaper and a diaper is not a Chuck, they are too specific things. Regardless of what happens, whether you use a diaper or you use a chuck in this case, you still have to change the patient, you still have to clean up the mess that the patient creates, by no fault of their own. the idea of being in a hospital is because you are somehow sick, or you need to have some sort of operation, so that is why you're there. once your operation or procedure is completed, the idea is that if you cannot go home to recuperate, you recuperate in the hospital. when you're that sick, you may end up having incontinence even if you are continent, so that could be an issue.

In my mind the easiest way to keep a patient comfortable is to have the right type of diaper, the right type of to take care of that, and to have people that understand that you don't need to be changing diapers every five minutes, but you need to have good diapers so that you don't have to worry about it. when you have something that really hurts, or you have something that's oozing, you want to make sure that whatever it is is not causing you to be having rashes and other things. when I had my appendix out, They had a drainage bag on the side of my body to release all of the junk that was coming out. On top of the poison that was releasing, there was fecal matter and everything else coming out of the side of this fistula. if this was not kept clean and dry, this would cause me more trouble, so my nurses were right on top of it And if I was uncomfortable they checked it and then they tightened up this thing so that I could actually be comfortable for a few hours. It is important that a nurse take care of a patient, not cut corners to try to make money or profit.

Diapers have a reason to be in existence and so do chucks, but using a chuck as a diaper is ridiculous because it is not a diaper, and is not as absorbent as a diaper and is not built that way. it might be absorbent but I doubt a Chuck would be that absorbent.

Brian

• Like 1

Ridiculous yes, but true.  Topic has been discussed on The Simon Foundation for Continence Web site.  

Fortunately such hospitals are rare.  A medical friend (a PA) told me that many hospitals are overreacting against the risk of diaper rash as such incidents are tabulated along with bed sores and other factors in a  hospital's ratings.

--John

• Like 1

I've been to a dozen different hospitals and surgery centers. Thankfully not a one of them was completely against diapers. A few nurses had wanted me to take it off when changing into that gown, but a little explanation of how incontinence works has always changed their minds. 

Depending on the surgery I've woken up without a diaper on. And some more nurses were hesitant to give me a new one. Though again, with some insistence I was able to get one. 

• Like 1

On 4/27/2023 at 8:47 AM, Slomo said:

Depending on the surgery I've woken up without a diaper on. And some more nurses were hesitant to give me a new one. Though again, with some insistence I was able to get one. 

@Slomo

this is precisely why my medical records have my incontinence diagnosis and my need for diapers clearly stated, because they might not want to give me a diaper, so if it shows up on my medical records which everybody in the hospital can see, nobody can question my need or my request, because it's there in my medical records and I do have the diagnosis feeling like to support that request. 😊

Brian

• Like 2

On 4/27/2023 at 8:47 AM, Slomo said:

It's why my medical records say I am incontinent and I am required to be in diapers. It's clearly stated on all my medical records. It's why any medical procedure, they know I have to wear diapers and they are super accommodating. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Uuugh, the nurse saw my crinklz diaper at about 25% capacity and instantly said it was going to leak. Also said that much urine directly against my skin would absolutely cause an open wound, not just a rash.

Sooooo much ignorance, and she wasn't even willing to listen to why it's not a problem. I told her I'm not driving a MINI car, I have a Maserati. But no good. The nurse absolutely insisted I switch over to a periwick system. And external catheter with a hose that is under a light suction. She insisted yet again on how much better it is, and how much more I'll like it. Not even an hour later it had a catastrophic leak. Uuuugh....

That sounds a lot more uncomfortable than sitting in a diaper that has been barely used.  Waking up in wet clothes is one of the things I hate the most. 

I'm not sure i understand the skin health thing.   My skin is pretty used to sitting inside a diaper all day without too much consequence. I imagine it's similar for other folks that need to wear them to manage.  I CAN imagine a nurses union getting together and deciding they "don't get paid enough to change all these adult diapers" 

55 minutes ago, Iken said:

Sounds like a lot more uncomfortable than sitting in a diaper. I have seen worse where Nursing home and hospice patients have to endure thin, crappy pull ups instead of diapers.

13 hours ago, Zombie_Turtle said:

That sounds a lot more uncomfortable than sitting in a diaper that has been barely used.  Waking up in wet clothes is one of the things I hate the most. 

I'm not sure i understand the skin health thing.   My skin is pretty used to sitting inside a diaper all day without too much consequence. I imagine it's similar for other folks that need to wear them to manage.  I CAN imagine a nurses union getting together and deciding they "don't get paid enough to change all these adult diapers" 

It is! I've been sitting on a really basic bed pad. It doesn't have much padding and the top acquisition layer is a rougher/stiffer mesh that is gently digging into my skin and making it more certain any urine will be dierctly in contact with my skin. It also seems to be letting sweat accumulate on my skin too. With everything put together I'm certain my skin is getting slightly worse. 

And yeah, they have been having to check me at least once every 4 hours. It's only a matter of time when I can point out how much worse this is.  Even with this automatic vacuum collectorthing.

Now if I was using any of those cheap medical brands they have available here, or some other store-bought diaper, things would be much worse still. They'd have to check/change me ever 2 hours minimum. Something nobody wants and is likely the reason for their no diapers policy. Though through their ignorance it's unfairly applied. Their policy should be no store bought or medical grade diapers. Premium or abdl diapers having the obvious exception.

• Like 2

On 9/9/2023 at 1:53 PM, Slomo said:

It is! I've been sitting on a really basic bed pad. It doesn't have much padding and the top acquisition layer is a rougher/stiffer mesh that is gently digging into my skin and making it more certain any urine will be dierctly in contact with my skin. It also seems to be letting sweat accumulate on my skin too. With everything put together I'm certain my skin is getting slightly worse. 

And yeah, they have been having to check me at least once every 4 hours. It's only a matter of time when I can point out how much worse this is.  Even with this automatic vacuum collectorthing.

Now if I was using any of those cheap medical brands they have available here, or some other store-bought diaper, things would be much worse still. They'd have to check/change me ever 2 hours minimum. Something nobody wants and is likely the reason for their no diapers policy. Though through their ignorance it's unfairly applied. Their policy should be no store bought or medical grade diapers. Premium or abdl diapers having the obvious exception.

That's why whenever I go to the hospital, I always have my diaper bag with me. Being an EMT, I have seen the kind of diapers and pull ups they use in hospitals and Nursing homes that they are so crappy, that it should constitute as abuse.

Yeah, I have a 2-day hospital go bag I brought with me. And also had my wife bring me a full bag of crinklz. When she showed up with the new bag the nurse went off her rocker and declared them banned and put away in a storage cabinet.

That's when she went to that horrible vacuum collection system (periwiz). It leaked 2x the first evening, 4x the next day, and 1 more the next morning. I could feel a rash setting in so that's when I said screw the nurse and went back to my diapers this morning. Haven't seen her since then, but don't care.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Slomo said:

Yeah, I have a 2-day hospital go bag I brought with me. And also had my wife bring me a full bag of crinklz. When she showed up with the new bag the nurse went off her rocker and declared them banned and put away in a storage cabinet.

That's when she went to that horrible vacuum collection system (periwiz). It leaked 2x the first evening, 4x the next day, and 1 more the next morning. I could feel a rash setting in so that's when I said screw the nurse and went back to my diapers this morning. Haven't seen her since then, but don't care.

That's why all my nurses that take care of me for my medical issues knows fully well what diapers I wear and they are totally accepting. It's why when I come to my medical appointments or hospital stays, they are comfortable with me being diapered.  Even as an EMT, I always have a diaper bag with me and on the back of the ambulance as well.

• Like 1