Ultra-absorbent diapers

John Davis

Has anyone tried the ultra-absorbent diapers like Trest?  I have not.  The most absorbent diaper I have tried is MegaMax with a Boostups booster pad (1 liter absorbency) added.  That gets me through the nights ok.  I have wondered whether any of the ultra-absorbent diapers offers practical benefits for we who are IC.  The only one that comes to mind is long road trips where one wishes to avoid having to stop to change a diaper.

What are your observations and thoughts?

--John

Not Trest, but I did try Megamax. And was kind of disappointed with them. They leaked on me before they even came close to half full, right at the front of my legs. Not a surprise though, Megamax has their lower tapes shifted up towards the middle of the back wings. Which means I will never be able to get a snug fit around my legs with them. Really with any diaper that uses a tape landing zone, and "no lower tapes". Which Trest is even more extreme with their tape placement, so I have no interest in trying them.

• Like 2

While I'm normally wearing cloth, on my last vacation I had both NorthShore's MegaMax and Tykables (blue) Camo, plus both companies doubler's.  Neither completely work at night for me, however with Tykables doubler added (to either), most nights were good.  Because I currently need some protection during the day, but use the toilet during the day, I found the Camo's easier to use than the MegaMax, with the doubler.  That took care of the slight issue during the day and then the heavier wetting at night.  So, one diaper per day....  If I ever loose more control during the day, I'd have to change how I do things.

With the doubler up front, this was overkill for my normal needs, but it kept from hitting leaks at the legs when the front was well used earlier during sleep.

Next time I'm on vacation (or preparing / evaluating for) again I need to keep @Slomo's comment about lower tape placement in mind and see if I can make an adjustment in how I use things to get better utilization of the rest of the diaper before it leaks.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, zzyzx said:

While I'm normally wearing cloth, on my last vacation I had both NorthShore's MegaMax and Tykables (blue) Camo, plus both companies doubler's.  Neither completely work at night for me, however with Tykables doubler added (to either), most nights were good.  Because I currently need some protection during the day, but use the toilet during the day, I found the Camo's easier to use than the MegaMax, with the doubler.  That took care of the slight issue during the day and then the heavier wetting at night.  So, one diaper per day....  If I ever loose more control during the day, I'd have to change how I do things.

With the doubler up front, this was overkill for my normal needs, but it kept from hitting leaks at the legs when the front was well used earlier during sleep.

Next time I'm on vacation (or preparing / evaluating for) again I need to keep @Slomo's comment about lower tape placement in mind and see if I can make an adjustment in how I use things to get better utilization of the rest of the diaper before it leaks.

Keep in mind that some diaper shapes just don't work as good for some people. And it's not so easy to just adjust where the tape can land at, or how well angled you can tape it on. For me, there's no way I can adjust the middle tape on a megamax, tykables, or similar type of diaper, to get a half-decent fit.

One thing I did try though, is add my own third tape. One low enough that I actually could get a decently snug fit around my legs. And wow, that made all the difference. The megamax I had on could have lasted a full day and then some, and didn't even didn't come close to leaking even when it was saturated all the way up the back side.

• Like 1

Slomo mentioned the issue with MegaMax's lower tapes making it difficult to get a snug fit around the legs.  I fully agree.  Partly because of that problem I get better overnight protection from BetterDry than I do from MegaMax, despite the latter having greater absorbency.

--John

• Like 1

I have fond memories of Mega Max. At the beginning of my incontinence, I did not know what to buy to protect myself; I was very embarrassed because I always had leaks and I couldn't find a diaper that suited my needs. When I first used the Megamax, I was very surprised at the size of the diaper. layer compared to the protections sold in stores near my home. my daily life has really changed since the first day and it has freed me a lot. my only concern was the bulkiness of the mostly wet diaper which I struggled to hide. I have since changed to another reference.

I like the MegaMax Air. Because of the plastic front landing zone, the regular MegaMax irritates me at the waistline after I fold the extra plastic back inside the diaper.  The MegaMax Air does not have a front landing zone and so avoids that problem.🙂  Also, I can position the tapes anywhere I like to get the best fit.  While the breathable version does stretch a little bit, it stretches less than most diapers with a cloth-like breathable backing.

--John

• 3 weeks later...