Diaper Urine Odor

John Davis

How long can you wear a diaper before the urine odor becomes noticeable to others?  Note that others may notice our odors before we do.

Of course, this will be affected by many factors.  A plastic-backed diaper will help contain odor as will vinyl or rubber "plastic" pants.  Staying well hydrated will significantly reduce urine odor.  A diaper with mostly SAP and very little fluff pulp will contain odor better than a diaper with more fluff pulp.  Personal deodorants like Nullo will reduce urine odor.

IMHO, odor should not be noticeable until six hours or more.  By eight hours there is a significant risk of others noticing the odor, although they may not identify it as urine odor.

What do you think?

--John

Edited by John Davis

I stay very well hydrated (2+ liters per day). I also use a premium diaper rated at 5000ml, and a good diaper cover. I can go up to 16 hours in this same diaper before it smells enough for others to notice, or threatens to leak on me. Though I always change before that, I had tested it to the max before. 24 hours, a slight leak, strong enough smell, and a developing rash. Not something I'd recommend for normal, but always good as a test to know how far it will go before failure.

9 hours ago, John Davis said:

How long can you wear a diaper before the urine odor becomes noticeable to others?  Note that others may notice our odors before we do.

Of course, this will be affected by many factors.  A plastic-backed diaper will help contain odor as will vinyl or rubber "plastic" pants.  Staying well hydrated will significantly reduce urine odor.  A diaper with mostly SAP and very little fluff pulp will contain odor better than a diaper with more fluff pulp.  Personal deodorants like Nullo will reduce urine odor.

IMHO, odor should not be noticeable until six hours or more.  By eight hours there is a significant risk of others noticing the odor, although they may not identify it as urine odor.

What do you think?

--John

Unfortunately, I know I'm nose blind to my self till it gets a bit aged....

Fortunately, I don't have a major day issue.  And I haven't had anyone comment yet during the day.  And as a single person, I don't have anyone to complain when I get up the morning (and visiting family, haven't had comments on those occasions). 

Also note that I typically use cloth diapers, so mileage will vary....

23 hours ago, John Davis said:

What do you think?

--John

#HisRoyalHighness #PrinceAdamBinAlwaleed, the eldest son of Saudi Billionaire Royal Prince, Alwaleed Bin Talal, knows that wearing non absorbent plastic or rubber pants over plastic-backed or waterproof covered disposable diapers does not stop leaks! The liquids pool...and then are forced out under pressure at the lowest points of least resistance. That being said, you all should "go with the flow" and use more booster pads instead. 

8 hours ago, John Davis said:

Like Slomo, I stay very well hydrated.  I rarely detect urine odor and I never have had anyone else comment on it.  However, I worry about others being able to tell.  The ladies seem to have a sharper sense of small than most men.

--John

@John Davis: It might not be as true now, but it used to be the mothers that kept track of when the young ones needed changing -- and that's why I think women are more likely to notice.  The only time I've had a smell comment was using a bit too much baby powder.  A older mother (kids were adult) liked my smell, but didn't place it.... 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, John Davis said:

Like Slomo, I stay very well hydrated.  I rarely detect urine odor and I never have had anyone else comment on it.  However, I worry about others being able to tell.  The ladies seem to have a sharper sense of small than most men.

--John

@John Davis

Usually for me, urine order isn't a problem, unless of course I have oversaturated my diapers, or for some reason I stay in the same diaper with the same cover for many hours. if you're in a diaper for 6 to 8 hours, and you keep on using it, the likelihood of urine odor being detected goes up. What I've learned from experience is that you can use powder all over the place, but you have to be careful Because when you use powder, that particular tau will will cake and cause a whole bunch of problems for your skin, so if you end up with wetness in the area of what you will be cleaning up will be Clods of powder, And that would be a mess to clean up, So you'd have to lightly use the powder and then rub it in really well, lest you end up with a bunch of mess that you have to clean up when you end up wiping down.

Secondarily, when you end up with need to change, and you keep using the diaper, likelihood goes up that it begins to smell, when you take off a diaper and you're not aware of it, I can tell you that if you do not have enough liquid in your system or enough hydration, the urine smell can be overpowering, and can smell like very very very pungent or strong ammonia. luckily ammonia doesn't bother me too much, but if I were to get a bottle of ammonia and open it up I would be allergic to that.

Yes, I have my diaper covers, which are really awesome, and they help me keep the smell and mess to a minimum as much as possible. I can't say enough that plastic pants are necessary, regardless of what diaper you wear, because it keeps everything within the diaper or within the plastic pants, and it also keeps the diaper in position, just like a onesie would if somebody was wearing one. The only problem is when you take a onesie offer you take the pants off, Up having it sad because you're trying to hold up something close to you, and when the diaper can expand it drops when you try to take it off, and I mean take off the onesie the diaper drops.

This is a normal part of wearing diapers, the more you put in the diaper, the lower droops, but that's why you have to have good diapers, cause if you don't have good diapers you end up with a humongous leak Then you end up with a severe case of diaper rash and then it'll be a pain in the neck to clean up, and it can be very very painful If you let the rash go too long, not even the proper spray cleaner will help you, because that would even hurt you even more.

It's always a good idea however not to sit in a wet diaper for two too long, I can understand that people might wanna sit in a wet diaper, and I support that, but be careful that you're not sitting in a diaper too long, because the urine and the ammonia can cause issues And it also causes a problem because what is touching you needs to be eliminated.

Brian

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Brian said:

@John Davis

Usually for me, urine order isn't a problem, unless of course I have oversaturated my diapers, or for some reason I stay in the same diaper with the same cover for many hours. if you're in a diaper for 6 to 8 hours, and you keep on using it, the likelihood of urine odor being detected goes up. What I've learned from experience is that you can use powder all over the place, but you have to be careful Because when you use powder, that particular tau will will cake and cause a whole bunch of problems for your skin, so if you end up with wetness in the area of what you will be cleaning up will be Clods of powder, And that would be a mess to clean up, So you'd have to lightly use the powder and then rub it in really well, lest you end up with a bunch of mess that you have to clean up when you end up wiping down.

Secondarily, when you end up with need to change, and you keep using the diaper, likelihood goes up that it begins to smell, when you take off a diaper and you're not aware of it, I can tell you that if you do not have enough liquid in your system or enough hydration, the urine smell can be overpowering, and can smell like very very very pungent or strong ammonia. luckily ammonia doesn't bother me too much, but if I were to get a bottle of ammonia and open it up I would be allergic to that.

Yes, I have my diaper covers, which are really awesome, and they help me keep the smell and mess to a minimum as much as possible. I can't say enough that plastic pants are necessary, regardless of what diaper you wear, because it keeps everything within the diaper or within the plastic pants, and it also keeps the diaper in position, just like a onesie would if somebody was wearing one. The only problem is when you take a onesie offer you take the pants off, Up having it sad because you're trying to hold up something close to you, and when the diaper can expand it drops when you try to take it off, and I mean take off the onesie the diaper drops.

This is a normal part of wearing diapers, the more you put in the diaper, the lower droops, but that's why you have to have good diapers, cause if you don't have good diapers you end up with a humongous leak Then you end up with a severe case of diaper rash and then it'll be a pain in the neck to clean up, and it can be very very painful If you let the rash go too long, not even the proper spray cleaner will help you, because that would even hurt you even more.

It's always a good idea however not to sit in a wet diaper for two too long, I can understand that people might wanna sit in a wet diaper, and I support that, but be careful that you're not sitting in a diaper too long, because the urine and the ammonia can cause issues And it also causes a problem because what is touching you needs to be eliminated.

Brian

I can also attest to this. IF you are not well hydrated then you absolutely can (and probably will) smell bad after just 8 hours. Even when using a diaper that can last double.  Stay well hydrated* and you likely won't start smelling anything untill 12+ hours in that same diaper.

* The World Heath Organization states all adults should start with drinking 2 liters of water per day. AND increasing that amount based on weight, activity level and weather conditions.

Of note: Water poisoning by over hydrating is also a thing. Though you'd have to drink 2+ liters of it in under an hour. Or something like 24 liters in one day. Which most normal people couldn't ever come close to.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1