Thick vs thin diapers

Iken

In terms of diapers, which do you prefer, thick diapers or thin diapers?

I generally prefer thick diapers mainly because they give me that padding and safety that I can go in them and use them. On top of that I don't require a whole lot of changes unless I poop in them.

By the time we have saturated our diapers to near their maximum useable capacity, it does not matter much whether they began as thick or thin.  If the maximum absorbent capacity is the same, the bulge will be about the same.  Frankly, I prefer a thicker diaper with more fluff pulp mixed in with the SAP to permit some wicking.  However, that is disappearing from the marketplace as the general public prefers a thin diaper.  There is an economic incentive for manufacturers to make thinner diapers as more can be shipped in the same container for reduced transportation costs.

--John

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John Davis said:

By the time we have saturated our diapers to near their maximum useable capacity, it does not matter much whether they began as thick or thin.  If the maximum absorbent capacity is the same, the bulge will be about the same.  Frankly, I prefer a thicker diaper with more fluff pulp mixed in with the SAP to permit some wicking.  However, that is disappearing from the marketplace as the general public prefers a thin diaper.  There is an economic incentive for manufacturers to make thinner diapers as more can be shipped in the same container for reduced transportation costs.

--John

That's why I prefer thicker diapers because thicker diapers have fewer changes in between. On top of that, thicker diapers gives me the safety, security and comfort that I can go diapered and not worry about changing so often. 

Same for thick as well. Thin always means it will have more sap (super absorbent polymer). And too much sap to padding means it will take much longer for the diaper to absorb pee, and also be much more likely to leak. 

Thin diapers are also more expensive than thick diapers too. Think about it, every time you change a thin diaper you're paying for an new waterproof shell, tapes, elastics, etc. But go with thick and every minute past changing a thin one you're only paying for the added padding. On a per day basis, the cost of a thick diaper always comes out cheaper.

Then there's function too. A diaper's entire purpose is to prevent embarrassing leaks. Thin fails at this way too often, and thick excells at not leaking. Going with a thick diaper is what's called a no-brainer. Especially when you consider this "a thick diaper that has done its job is way less noticeable than a thin one that has leaked".

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, John Davis said:

Good points all.  However, do note that a thicker diaper is not necessarily more absorbent than a thin one.  If two diapers have the same absorbency I will select the thicker one as it probably has more fluff pulp that will help wicking.

--John

Very true. With diapers everyone always needs more than just absorbency. They also need the ability to retain what gets absorbed. Too many people tend to overlook how important both are. Because if a thin diaper can absorb 3 liters of pee, but only retain 1 liter, then what good is it really. And if a thick diaper can only absorb 2 liters of pee but retains it all, then it really is the better choice.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John Davis said:

Good points all.  However, do note that a thicker diaper is not necessarily more absorbent than a thin one.  If two diapers have the same absorbency I will select the thicker one as it probably has more fluff pulp that will help wicking.

--John

It makes you wonder why Hospitals, skilled Nursing homes and assisted living homes give their people thin diapers when thicker ones are much preferred. For me, Thicker diapers are a no brainer because they make sure I don't leak and I don't change my diaper on a constant basis. That's why I prefer Megamax diapers because I can get a full 12 hours of diaper time before changes unless I poop really badly.

About a year ago I read a report that the cost of the average hospital diaper was $.48. 😱 Of course, buying in such bulk will markedly lower prices but, you get what you pay for.  And, of course, it suggests that the hospital was more concerned with saving money than patient comfort.

--John

On 7/18/2023 at 12:08 PM, Iken said:

It makes you wonder why Hospitals, skilled Nursing homes and assisted living homes give their people thin diapers when thicker ones are much preferred. For me, Thicker diapers are a no brainer because they make sure I don't leak and I don't change my diaper on a constant basis. That's why I prefer Megamax diapers because I can get a full 12 hours of diaper time before changes unless I poop really badly.

Oh that's easy. Because the supplies they have are dictated by some beuocrat in accounting who's never had to use an adult diaper. They look at the price per diaper,  see some other diaper costs less, and think they are all created equally so why not get the cheapest one possible...

I've even tried going to said beuocrats (in the VA, and with insurance), to explain how it's cheaper overall for them, and better performing for us, when going for the better product. And every time it's the same sort of "hands are tied" brush off because they just don't care.

• Like 1

As someone who wears diapers, I have seen what cheap diapers looks like and especially at Nursing homes and assisted living facilities. It makes me wonder why people are still stuck in them. I know being in diapers, when I go to Nursing homes and assisted living facilities, I often chat up about better diapers like Northshore.

When I kept casting about for a cheaper disposable, it became obvious that there were three classes of disposable adult diapers.  Insurance/Medicare will only pay for the most useless diapers.  I was at a store the other day where someone was sitting on the floor, he stank like the worst truck stop bathroom.  He were next to their Walker/chair ( don’t know what they’re called).  The manager had to help him up, and push him back out to his vehicle, after getting him the soda and frozen drink he came for.  The manager commented that his diaper was clearly saturated.  He got it on his pants and had to spray himself with axe body spray.  The man clearly had out of control diabetes, he was also not cared for or adequately protected.  The whole store stank.  That’s what you get with cheap thin diapers.

• Like 1

That's why Cheap, thin diapers don't work on me. Thick diapers work on me and they are help me get though the day and I am not stuck constantly changing a diaper. Although it makes me wonder why so many seniors, elderly and disabled are not on better diapers like Northshore.