Bladder Ultrasound

Dandelion

I'm going in for a bladder ultrasound next week to see if there are any structural problems that might be contributing to my sudden bedwetting.  I've been told I have to drink 30oz of water an hour before the test, but I'm quite small, and concerned that I won't be able to hold that much for that long.

Have any if you had this procedure done, and was it an issue for you?

I've had that issue as well. They "want" you to have enough pee still inside your bladder when you show up. Before the scan they will have you pee into a funnel and measuring cup. It logs how fast you pee, and how much. Which can be an indicator for any problems.

Then they do the ultrasound scan to see if any pee is still inside your bladder or not. 15-30ml of residual pee is normal, but more would not be and could also indicate where any problems might be.

That's what they want though. What they will get may not be the same thing. Though if you can, do try to show up needing to pee at least some. The more diagnostics you can go through, the better the chance they might just be able to find your underlying issues.

Usually after the scan they will want to schedule a full urodynamics test next. Or possibly a cystoscopy. But that's for another thread and time.

Hello Slomo,

it really depends on what you want to see on the ultrasound. In your case, they only checked to see if there was any residual urine after a uroflow. With or without uroflow, this is the standard procedure for BPH or other obstruction problems.  For example, to measure the thickness of the bladder wall or to look for trabeculations in the bladder, the bladder must be full, otherwise you can't see it on ultrasound. 

Of course, uroflow would not be possible either (at least unless you refill the bladder with tempered salt water - which is not usually the case). So it is indeed a good idea to come with a filled bladder - otherwise some diagnoses are not so easy.   

Another reason is that a urine sample is usually taken to check for urinary tract infections and other problems. Again, it is advisable to come with a full bladder, as the sample should be taken in the middle of the urine stream - otherwise false positives often occur. If you only have 100 ml left in it, that could also be a problem.

I think - if Dandilon have concerns it‘s probably better not to drink not 30 but 20oz and come with a half filled bladder then with a empty one 😉

• Like 1

On 6/7/2023 at 3:21 PM, Dandelion said:

I'm going in for a bladder ultrasound next week to see if there are any structural problems that might be contributing to my sudden bedwetting.  I've been told I have to drink 30oz of water an hour before the test, but I'm quite small, and concerned that I won't be able to hold that much for that long.

Have any if you had this procedure done, and was it an issue for you?

@Dandelion: My current Urologist wants a urine sample at the beginning of every visit and performs a ultrasound scan to measure residual volume shortly after I leave the sample.  It sounds like they want you to arrive with a full bladder so they can run some additional tests up front.  As an engineer I've provided my Urologist some numbers (taken at home) that he normally doesn't get, so some of my actual tests at the office haven't been as extensive there.....  (Plus my bladder capacity before BPH hit was larger than average....)

Basically, I'd call the Urologist office and let the nurse know your concerns and get the doctor's feedback.

Best wishes....

• Like 1