Rubber pants anyone?

Don't forget about wearing rubber pants.  They are less common nowadays but should supplement "plastic" pants in the wardrobe of anyone who is bowel incontinent.  

I will stress that I do not mean rubber pants as a fetish item.  Rubber is better at containing odor, particularly fecal odor, than plastic pants (of a similar thickness).😀

Often I wear either rubber pants or rubber bloomers during periods when I think I may be at a greater risk of a bowel accident.  In such instances I wear rubber pants over a pair of plastic pants.  This gives me a "second line of defense" against a fecal leak and, if I experience a bowel accident, it (hopefully) protects the rubber garment from being soiled.

Why bloomers?  The legs on bloomers come down the thighs below plastic pants. That helps to catch leaks.  It also is easy to change where the legs of the bloomers make contact to avoid skin irritation.

I always hand-wash my rubber pants and hang them to air dry.  They have lasted a very long time.

--John

• Like 3

Rubber will definitely give a better seal. Sadly, because of the convec shape to the small of the back, I've never found anything that is 100% smell or water proof. No matter how tight you try and make it.

I also go a step further and recommend any type of diaper cover for even those who only deal with urinary incontinence. In either case, they will help you notice any leaks (pee or poop) before they become outwardly noticeable to others.

• Like 1

Sometimes, it is a good extra protection to prevent leaks. i have a collection of PVC briefs, but they always seems to irritate after a couple of hours. if i'm wearing a size bigger they will leak. rubber feels too tight. not comfortable for me. need to move around alot.

On 4/4/2023 at 2:10 PM, Slomo said:

Rubber will definitely give a better seal. Sadly, because of the convec shape to the small of the back, I've never found anything that is 100% smell or water proof. No matter how tight you try and make it.

I also go a step further and recommend any type of diaper cover for even those who only deal with urinary incontinence. In either case, they will help you notice any leaks (pee or poop) before they become outwardly noticeable to others.

@Slomo

I agree with you: I use the diaper covers from North Shore as the trifectas: they are very effective at keeping leaks to a minimum, And sometimes even with the best of intentions, you leak through the diaper and you might end up leaving wet spots. Even when you have the cover over the top, i've had it leak through my pants and have a big wet spot. Diaper covers can help you in many ways because the idea of a diaper cover is to be your second line of defense, if you use a diaper and you leak through the, the plastic pants or what they call diaper covers will help you to keep whatever you're releasing inside either the diaper or the cover. If you have the cover on it is more advantageous because then you can use the diaper with confidence all the way through, So if you have a bad accident, you can be at least confident that you have coverage. I always use a pad on my normal chair, because I'm not sure sometimes what will happen when I have to release, But I do have to release, and I don't want to have to worry about having an accident, that's why I use the washable underpatch, because that will protect what I'm sitting on, but having an accident is a lot easier now because if I end up with a wet pad, I can simply take it off and wash it.

I believe like you, that diaper covers are helpful. call them diaper covers, call them rubber pants, call them plastic pants, call them baby pants or whatever it is that you we're told they were called when you were a kid. they all have the same function They all try to help you keep what you release within confines of your diaper or pretty darn close, so you're not blowing up and having major accident. that doesn't necessarily mean that a diaper cover is like a bulletproof shield, because sometimes you can have a bad accident, and it can leak through to the diaper cover and therefore you would have a mesh to clean up. back in the old days, rubber pants were probably used most likely because of cloth diapers, because there was nothing to help them keep the mess in the diaper, so plastic pants were used, or what my parents would call rubber pants. they were actually rubber back then, and they had an Unmistakable odor, And if you had a diaper on, the diaper cover would enhance the look of your butt, and someone would call you bubble butt.

also if you were born in the 70s, pampers were the disposable diapers that were probably available unless of course you were using ones that were like Mike shows in the museum on daily diapers. If you were born when I was, most kids would wear pampers as their diapers, and most parents would throw a pair of plastic pants over the top of the diapers Because even in the 70s, the diapers weren't as absorbent as they would be nowadays, but this way anything that you released in the diaper would have somewhere to go if you leaked. part of the reason why I think pampers were so thick was because they needed to be able to absorb anything that a kid would throw at it, and let me tell you if you were in diapers, you had two ways to know that, because you could either hear the crinkling or you could hear the swishing of the plastic pants on the outside.

While I was growing up, I always had a diaper on And then when I started to train, my mom would throw a pair of plastic pants over it, when she made that I would maybe have an accident. The covers can be protective, but you can always know that after awhile even the best protection needs to be checked and changed And it's not always bulletproof. rubber pants have their particular function, but today with so many people having allergies to rubber or latex, they have to change the way those are made so that they don't cause major problems with allergies to plastics rubbers or synthetics.

Rubber pants also can maintain whatever is in your diaper or leaking outside into the plastic pants. regardless of how good it is, smell is going to permeate from something, so even the best plastic pants may not be bulletproof.  And I agree with you, because of the way the body is contoured, there is no absolutely positive 100% Bulletproof way to keep smell to a minimum because you would have to seal the entire area around that so that no smell can escape into the air. we all know that that is impossible, so rubber pants are used to also help you keep the diaper in place, as also as a protection, because if you have to use the diaper, it's a lot easier to have plastic pants over the top in case of a blowout. I'm sure there is an apparent here or a person that has seen a baby that has had a bowl out that has been really bad, and that and that can happen at any time, especially if a kid is learning to eat new foods, and you end up giving them something that their body cannot deal with at this time, which means that it is more likely that someone will have a blowout. rubber pants help keep that mess in one position, however even with the best type of diapers and plastic pants, you need to be able to change the diapers on a regular basis, because we all know what happens: great big angry rash if you don't take care of it right!

I'm glad I have my diaper covers, and I'm glad that I decided to pull how all the stops when I went 24/7. because I decided to make that choice, I feel a lot more confident and I know that I have the right equipment, which unfortunately does not mean that I don't have blowouts or leaks, but it is a lot easier to deal with if you have protection and can just take everything off at the end of the day if you have an incident.

Hooray For plastic pants! they have changed over the years, but the idea is that they try to keep mess to a minimum as well as well as the smell, But unfortunately we all know that it is impossible to what all times keep both at bay. That is why you have to make sure that you are checking and changing yourself regularly, lest you have a major rash and then you are in Mega Agony!

Brian

• Like 1