Incontinence in college

Iken

I wonder, how many of you dealt being incontinent and in college. I know when I was in college and Incontinent, I had to wear diapers to college class and the college I went to was so accommodating of my disability.

• Like 1

Does community college while living at my own apartment count?

That was also decades ago, and about 1-2 years after I became incontinent. I was still trying to figure out what diapers actually worked, and back then there weren't many options. So I was predominantly using Attends 10 with wasitbands,  but had urge incontinence and would flood my diapers.

All too often I'd be sitting down in class and would leak. If it wasn't too bad I'd just stay seated till most everyone had left. Embarrassment aside, a few professors expressed sympathy, and everyone else didn't notice or didn't care. I'd then carry my bag to cover up as much as I could. I also kept a spare diaper in my bag if changing was needed, or a beeline home was a better option. And this was also when I figured out black pants were always needed.

At some point I started adding a booster pad too. At first it was a maxipad, but then I found baby diapers worked better and cheaper. Leaks still happened at times, but not as bad. They were always just delt with as best as I could. Unfortunately, diaper covers worn over disposables weren't even a thing back then. Neither were leak guards, sap, or any of the major improvements we now have. So as one can imagine I kept myself at a social distance from others, and didn't attempt to make any new friends.

• Like 3

I had an overactive bladder during that period of my life but it had yet to cause any problems other than making me feel embarrassed, or kind of abnormal.

Slomo: that sounds horrible. I'm sorry you had to deal with that, and on top of it, not having effective means to protecting yourself.  

• Thanks 2

When I went to college, I was already diapered. The college I went to was super accommodating of my disability. I lived on campus while I was in college, so I had a dorm for myself. The college accommodated me that they had bathrooms set up to have a diaper changing room.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, John Davis said:

Iken, you were very fortunate to have the college be so accommodating.

--John

The college I went to in New England, was super liberal and super accommodating. When I lived on campus, they even let me have my own dorm room where I can stay in just a diaper and t-shirt after classes were done. The bathrooms, they made space where I can change my soiled diaper in between classes and when I am not near my dorm room.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2023 at 7:26 AM, John Davis said:

Slomo, you had it really rough in college.  The stress must have been terrible.

--John

On 7/8/2023 at 3:07 AM, Zombie_Turtle said:

I had an overactive bladder during that period of my life but it had yet to cause any problems other than making me feel embarrassed, or kind of abnormal.

Slomo: that sounds horrible. I'm sorry you had to deal with that, and on top of it, not having effective means to protecting yourself.  

Thanks for the sympathy. It didn't happen all that often, maybe like once a week or two. And thankfully my time in the US Marines instilled me with a lot of self confidence that helped me deal with it.

All that hardship is one of the reasone why I like being here to try and help others. It gives me meaning to know that I didn't go though it all for nothing. That others can benefit from it all.

• Like 2

On 7/10/2023 at 9:06 AM, Slomo said:

All that hardship is one of the reasone why I like being here to try and help others. It gives me meaning to know that I didn't go though it all for nothing. That others can benefit from it all.

I think it important to note that our ability to help and influence other incontinents is not limited just to those who are members with us here on incont.org.  A far greater number of ICs will read our postings as the result of a Google (or other search engine) search.

--John