I wet the bed and don't know what to do anymore

Julia Juana

Hello, I need help with bedwetting.

About myself, I'm Julia a 16 years old student from brazil (sorry for my english).

About 3 months ago I started wetting the bed for the first time. I was out of diapers with 3 and never had any problems with accidents as a kid, so it came as a big surprise. A few days later it happened again and in the weeks that followed it got worse. Now I wet the bed almost daily and have had a few pooping accidents too. I have been to the hospital and multiple doctors for check ups but they couldn't find anything unusual or wrong in my body. They said it has to be something mental and I saw a psychologyst as well but we couldn't find a stress factor that would cause it. I'm a bit shy and was always more to myself so I'm not very popular but I'm happy with it. In general I'm happy and not really stressed about anything. The only solution people gave me is to put on diapers at night. It's defenetly better than cleaning the bed but I don't want to wear them forever.

I just don't know what to do anymore. It's very embaressing and frustrating. No doctor I have seen so far found any real cause of it nor had any good solution.

• 2 weeks later...

Getting a full diagnosis can be really difficult, and many people just never get one. Sometime we just have to accept that what's happening is happening, and we just have to accept that. You may not want to wear a diaper every night, but I'm sorry to say you may have to accept you will. It's the same with needing glasses, hearing aids, wheelchairs, and such.

That all said, there are steps you can take to try and help lessen your need for diapers at night. Seeing your doctor was the right first step. Now try looking into kegel exercises. Doing them during the day can help you at night. Try holding your pee a little longer during the day too. Not for too long, but even 10 extra minutes can help your ability to hold overnight too. 

Don't dehydrate yourself too much, but you can restrict water intake for an hour or two before bed. Not so much your pee will turn a dark yellow though as that can invite other problems. And don't drink alcohol in the evening (which given your age I assume you're not). The same for anything caffinated like coffee or tea. Lastly, while obvious it needs to be said. Make sure you pee right before going to bed, even if you don't feel like you need to.