Indwelling CATHETER trial recomended by Urologist

sjaeger172004

Hi all
What should I know about Indwelling Cath as had a phone consult with public urologist and he wants me to trial a size 16 as medications have failed and well I am getting up at least 5 times per night and nearly physically collapsed (thankfully support worker caught me) I am considering doing the valve system instead of having a bag

I once had a urologist suggest the same thing to me. I went 7 months straight with an indwelling (folley) catheter. With my doctors approval I used a one-way valve on it, and let it drain into a diaper. The catheter was changed out once a month.

It did prove to give me much needed relief. Though I quickly found you need to apply a non-water based lubricant to the catheter every day. Right at the tip of the penis where we're prone to get size changes. The best one was lidocaine "ointment" (not the gel), though plain petroleum jelly also works good when in a pinch.

Ultimately, after 7 months I developed a urethral sensitivity, just from the constant rubbing and having something in my urethra. So I had to quit using them and find an alternative. For me, that was 15 surgeries over 3 years. All intended to remove my internal and external sphincters.  That also ended up removing strictures and my entire prostrate. But I'm finally stable and leak urine all the time instead of having painful retention.

I never once had a uti, but came close a few times. Constantly drinking cranberry juice likely helped a bunch. And it goes good with vodka too. You can have sex with a catheter in place, but you absolutely must use a condom to keep it clean. Honestly it wasn't as pleasant, so I mostly just mastrubated. In either case you'll most likely have a retrograde ejaculated, or you'll slowly leak past the catheter. When using a leg bag with also using a leg "sock" was ok on comfort, but in the long run I found just using a diaper was the most comfortable.

Let me know if you have any questions, I'll reply here so others can benefit too.

5 hours ago, Slomo said:

I once had a urologist suggest the same thing to me. I went 7 months straight with an indwelling (folley) catheter. With my doctors approval I used a one-way valve on it, and let it drain into a diaper. The catheter was changed out once a month.

It did prove to give me much needed relief. Though I quickly found you need to apply a non-water based lubricant to the catheter every day. Right at the tip of the penis where we're prone to get size changes. The best one was lidocaine "ointment" (not the gel), though plain petroleum jelly also works good when in a pinch.

Ultimately, after 7 months I developed a urethral sensitivity, just from the constant rubbing and having something in my urethra. So I had to quit using them and find an alternative. For me, that was 15 surgeries over 3 years. All intended to remove my internal and external sphincters.  That also ended up removing strictures and my entire prostrate. But I'm finally stable and leak urine all the time instead of having painful retention.

I never once had a uti, but came close a few times. Constantly drinking cranberry juice likely helped a bunch. And it goes good with vodka too. You can have sex with a catheter in place, but you absolutely must use a condom to keep it clean. Honestly it wasn't as pleasant, so I mostly just mastrubated. In either case you'll most likely have a retrograde ejaculated, or you'll slowly leak past the catheter. When using a leg bag with also using a leg "sock" was ok on comfort, but in the long run I found just using a diaper was the most comfortable.

Let me know if you have any questions, I'll reply here so others can benefit too.

What are one way valves are they the flip and flow ones?

many thanks

7 hours ago, Slomo said:

Well I dont have sex but masterbate how do u do that with an indwelling as wont be able to take it out myself

The valve I had was like a short piece of tubing with a flapper in it. The flapper could only open one way, so urine could pass out but nothing could go in.

And I mastrubated normally, with the catheter still in place. Just make sure the catheter is well lubed first.

I should add, allowing my catheter to drain into my diaper was contingent on me staying extremely well hydrated. Like 3+ liters of water per day. My urologist required it, saying as long as it's constantly be flushed out, then nothing will get in.

He also mentioned some people are just more prone to getting a UTI than others. If you're more prone to them, don't even bother attempting this. Also, the most likely place and time to getting a UTI is when it's initially inserted, AND when it's done at a medical facility or hospital. Inserting it yourself at home, and leaving it in for a month is the best way to avoid a UTI.