Urinalysis

Slomo

For those that are urinary incontinent, how do you handle giving an on-demand pee sample for a urinalysis? And if you're also fecal incontinent has that ever made it more difficult or complicated?

Yesterday I had to give a pee sample as part of routine screening for a major upcoming surgery (total right knee replacement). I knew it was needed, so that morning I drank a whole bunch of water. I was given the cup and made my way to the bathroom. In the past I've just sat on the toilet, holding the cup under me. And over 10-15 minutes will slowly drip pee into the cup untill there is enough for the lab to test.

Except this time my IBS-D decided to flare up. As I was removing my pants, and before I could slide down my diaper, I had a sudden and very liquid bowel movement. It just came out of nowhere without any warning. So now I had to deal with a very messy diaper, clean up as best as I could, then sit there for 15 minutes to get the sample. The worst part was when I was done I didn't have a clean diaper on hand with me to change into. (I keep my supplies in my car as accidents like this are very rare for me). So I dropped off the sample and made a bee line out of there. Went home, and got cleaned and changed.

• Like 1

Well - it can be a bit complicated, but so far it has always worked somehow. When I know that a urine sample is needed, I try to drink as much as possible two hours beforehand to arrive with a reasonably full bladder. 

The problem with me is to get something out when the bladder is not really full because I feel urge to urinate if at all only very late and then it also does not work with the spontaneous urination.

Somehow I have almost always managed with a little time, abdominal pressure and a few times to stand up and sit down. In case of doubt, they have to get it out with a catheter, which is rarely a problem with 200ml of residual urine ...Fortunately, I have not had diarrhea during the examinations so far, otherwise it would probably have been even more difficult...

My challenge is one of timing.  I still have some limited bladder control, especially in the morning.  So, I void immediately before leaving the house.  My urologist is about 15 minutes away.  Immediately upon checking in they give me a cup for a urine sample.  That timing works as I have more than enough urine for the sample.  If something causes is a delay I may pee in my diaper (full void) and then have to wait until I can provide the urine sample.

As I use daily morning enemas to manage my FI (neurogenic bowel), fecal incontinence usually does not cause a problem.  However, if the time of the urology appointment does not allow me to administer the enema, then all bets are off.

Slomo, you had a really rough time.😟

--John