My problem, heridety

Dad

I created this email address specifically for this website.

I have uniary incontinence, been this way all my life; our family doctor since age 5 told my parents that I "would grow out of it" I never did, Through grade, Jr. High then High School I was plenty embarrassed.

My son. now in middle school, has a wetting problem so at night and the daytime he must wear diapers. We're positive that's embarrassing. Is his problem hereditary? Did I give him this?

Concerned dad

• 6 months later...

@Dad

On 4/18/2023 at 11:13 AM, Dad said:

I created this email address specifically for this website.

I have uniary incontinence, been this way all my life; our family doctor since age 5 told my parents that I "would grow out of it" I never did, Through grade, Jr. High then High School I was plenty embarrassed.

My son. now in middle school, has a wetting problem so at night and the daytime he must wear diapers. We're positive that's embarrassing. Is his problem hereditary? Did I give him this?

Concerned dad

Welcome to Incont.org!!

I don't think that you, as his dad "gave" him, as you say, this condition.  It may be due to the size of his bladder, or the strength of his pelvic floor muscles.  It could be that there is some sort of reason why your son is having this issue, but I doubt you "gave it" to him, he just may have the condition you do, and I would definitely check with his pediatrician to see if there is a reason for his wetting issues.  He may have some information for you, and could give you and your son guidance, and can give you options and possible other assistance.

I also would tell your son that it's OK to feel the way he does, but not to worry, because there are times when you could outgrow the problem.  There are instances however, when this may not happen, but there are plenty of kids that have urinary incontinence issues, and they have to wear diapers simply because they don't have the best control, or they don't have any control at all.  I am not sure if there is anything else I can tell you, but wearing diapers isn't really that bad, because you will at least be able to hopefully manage it appropriately until you are able to have him see his doctor.  There are many ways that they can help him, but diapers are ONE of Many options! I am incontinent myself, and have been disabled all my life, so diapers are the solution for me 🙂

Good Luck, and keep us advised 😉

Brian