Do you worry that someone will hear your diapers?

John Davis

Do you worry that someone will hear your diapers?  Perhaps the rustling or crinkling sounds many diapers make?  And, it is not just the diapers themselves, our plastic pants generate their own sounds.  My wife could hear a my pair of urethane pants from across the room.😱

Admittedly, with some hearing loss, I am unlikely to pick up on those sounds, but others might.  I think many women have better hearing than most men.

Of course, my clothing does function as a "silencer."  Over my diaper I wear a thin cotton pullup for absorbency but it also acts as a silencer.  My onesie over diaper and plastic pants acts as another layer, and, of course, my jeans.  Nonetheless, sometimes I can hear a faint sound and worry that the sound may sound louder to others.

In most active areas, the sound levels help to mask any sounds from our diapers.  Fortunately, most non-incontinents who hear our diaper-related sounds are not likely to recognize them for what they are🙂.

What do you guys and gals think?

--John

• Like 2

I should note that the above topic came to me because, as I played bridge yesterday, I suddenly realized I was peeing my diaper.  Not feelilng that I needed to pee or that I was about to pee, but going right then, with no warning.☹️  I was not able to excuse me from the table and just prayed that no one could hear me pee.

--John

• Like 1

@John Davis

In reality, I know that I need diapers and I know why I need diapers and I wear diapers all the time, and that is a choice made after having several accidents and having to clean up mess in my bed! when I ended up having that happen in 2019, I went to the doctors for help. First I was nervous as hectic somebody was going to either hear my diapers or here why diaper covers, because I had the PUL pants for awhile then I had the trifectas, and I was worried when I had the old style plastic pants that somebody would hear me, but I used them to protect myself. After a while my plastic pants just decided to get really hard then I had to get rid of them. That's when I ended up getting the Gary Ware. They were awesome and I love them and I still have them if I want them, but they're not too bad and they might rustle just a little but they're good for protection. Ended up getting the trifectas from North Shore because I might need some more and they don't carry others products when they can make their own.

Long story short, I used to be afraid that somebody would hear my diapers or my diaper covers. However, I know that I need diapers, I know that I want diapers, and they help me deal with many things including incontinence and all the feelings and urges. Now that I'm wearing 24/7, and I'm used to them, there's no reason why I should have to worry somebody will find out I'm wearing diapers because the people that have to know know about it, and the people that I want to know about it know about it, and anybody else, well it's none of their business. I figure if somebody hears my diaper or they hear my plastic pants or maybe they see it riding high when I stand up, well that's something they see. As I age it gets harder for me to move, so it's not that bad, because at least I don't have to bolt already here out of my chair, because everything is protected. I remember the night that I was sitting in the chair, and I didn't even have time to think, and then all of a sudden I ended up doing a BM. Even have a chance to turn around and grab my chair arms to push forward, the deed had already been done! that was my wake up call to say that I needed diapers, and I haven't looked back since.

I know there may be people that would say that they're afraid somebody's gonna find out, but people who are incontinent already know what they're dealing with, and most people would understand if we're incontinent. If you are ABDL, Then it may be different, but most people that are incontinent deal with it every day just like the ones that are AB or DL, but the dynamic is different, and the understanding is a little different too. When you're incontinent, you don't have to worry about the fact that you are incontinent, you have to worry about how you're going to deal with it. People that I have dealt with understand incontinence and they know why somebody we're wearing diapers, but if you're ABDL, The response may be different. I'm not afraid anymore, that is obvious. Sit most times anyway so no one's gonna see that I have my pants up over my trifectas, or maybe they ride a little high. Either have my trifectas over in diaper rather than have to worry about my pants being wet. And sometimes with my trifectas over my diaper, I go and I fill the diaper and then all the sudden for some reason my pants are wet or something like that, but at least I'm dry and comfortable, and when I feel it I can change. Thank God for my North Shores because they are so awesome mega Max's are the best diaper made and I'll stand on that for a long time.

Brian

• Like 1

I was at first, and with those old 1990s depends, I know for a fact people could hear them crinkling. Modern diapers a waaaay quieter. Though in a very quiet setting its possible someone could still hear them. Most anywhere else, forget it. People are so caught up in their own world they will not notice. Ever hear of the "gorilla test". Look it up on YouTube.

Like Brian, I too recommend PUL pants for mitigating the rest of that crinkling sound. Either Gary Activewear, or Northshore Trifectas. They are great at containing leaks (even with disposable diapers), help contain any smells, and do a great job muffling any sound.

Also, it gets easier with time. At some point you'll come to realize and fully internalize that diapers are not illegal, immoral, or even socially bad. They are necessary though, and anyone who has a problem with you wearing a diaper shouldn't be feared, they should be pittied. For it's their problem not yours. And once you get to that point you'll also stop caring even if they do notice. 

• Like 2

I might not have the best hearing but i believe that I don't make a lot of sound in a room with a lot of activity. Then, like others have said, if I do make a sound, who is going to put 2 and 2 together? If they do do have suspicion, why should I care.  They would have to prove it, by asking me, or disrobing me.  Either of those options are something nobody is likely to make. 

So no, not a big deal to me. 

• Like 1

Not really worried / care about diaper sounds, but there again, I'm normally wearing cloth.  I have recognized the sound of pee hitting the protective pants....  When I wet overnight (most of the time), I usually don't "finish" the mictrition cycle (i.e. voluntary controls are still in the relaxed state), so after waking up I can get a strong urge and start automatically re-leaving the bladder.  And sometimes the first thing I notice is the sound of the strong stream flowing through the already wet diaper and hitting the plastic / vinyl / PUL / (or) rubber pants.  So, yes, in a quiet enough room it might be noticed, but I think most folks wouldn't put 2 and 2 together and figure out what the sound was....

• Like 1

I usually am around seniors.  Fortunately most of them have lost some hearing.🙂

I have been incontinent and wearing diapers for a fairly long time - about 10 years.  The thought of others hearing my diaper noise concerns me, it does not worry me as much as it used to.

--John

On 5/20/2023 at 4:30 AM, emily1890 said:

my life has a lot going on (most of it bad)

sound from my diaper is the least of my worries

I know it's loud, I even hear it myself sometimes

Take solace it's not as loud, or recognizable, to others as it is to us. I actually outed myself once because the crinkling of my diaper was so loud to me I was certain a friend I was walking with had to of heard it too. I asked if he could hear that too, and his reply was hear what. I said that plastic noise, and he was like oh yeah I hadn't even noticed but what is it, a candy wrapper or something. To which I then told him it was my diaper betraying me. 

In hindsight I probably could have gotten away with saying it was, but I'm glad I hadn't. He took it all in stride without batting an eye. And later on he even asked me for advice, as his own father was becoming incontinent and depends wasn't cutting it.

• Like 2