Why no adult diapers like a baby diaper

Slomo

I've seen this question a LOT. Why can't someone make an adult diaper that looks, feels, and most importantly works just as good as a baby diaper.

First, copyrights and patents. Baby diaper manufacturers want any advantage they can hold on to, and not let anyone else use their patented designs. Baby or adult.

Second, I came across this image. This is just how different our body shapes are from newborn to adult. So a diaper shaped for a baby could never "scale up" and work for an adult.

https://9gag.com/gag/ajXG1MG?utm_source

• Like 2

Aggree re the scaling.  Also, an article I read a couple of years ago extrapolated the size and padding of a baby diaper to adult size and determined that it would be so overly large that adults would refuse to wear it (even though it would perform its function very well).

--John

• Like 2

2 hours ago, John Davis said:

Aggree re the scaling.  Also, an article I read a couple of years ago extrapolated the size and padding of a baby diaper to adult size and determined that it would be so overly large that adults would refuse to wear it (even though it would perform its function very well).

--John

Oh man, you reminded me of something. I can't find a picture of it, but does anyone remember seeing those old-school, red, thick-padded, jockey shorts? The kind schools had pre-1990's, and would make boys put on when practicing for wrestling or sometimes in gym classes?

We always joked they were oversized diapers. And well, now you've got me imagining something like that.

Edited by Slomo
  • Like 1

it would be so overly large that adults would refuse to wear it (even though it would perform its function very well).

i can understand why that would be a problem during the day, but at night, in bed, it would have its advantages, and no one would see it. I prefer a ticker diaper at night anyway.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Zombie_Turtle said:

fit is one thing, but what about some of the features on baby diapers.  more comfortable waistbands, better topsheets,  etc.  those things would be nice. 

It would be nice, including those channels to help reduce leaks and improve absorption towards the back of the diaper.

But that's where those patents and copyrights come into play and prevent anyone else from having those improvements. It's just corporate greed empowering those who have it while making sure nobody else does.

Personally, I believe patents and copyrights stifle innovation and reduce the number of those who can otherwise benefit from those improvements. They also keep prices higher than they should be.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John Davis said:

At night, I definitely would go for one of those baby diapers scaled up to adult size.  I am very wet at night and could actually use the extra absorbency.

--John

You do realize the size we are talking about right? A scaled up diaper like that would probably hold 10+ liters without leaking for 24+ hours, even for side sleepers who wet heavily. It would also extend half way up to your arm pits, and be like 3-5 inches thick all around. The tapes would also be so strong we'd probably need help removing them (scale up the size and weight and you also have to scale up the tape strength and diaper material strength too). Then there'd be the price, I don't even want to guess at that. I'm all in for a diaper that works great, but not that great.....

You're probably not into any of this, but believe it or not that kind of diaper is already well covered and discussed. In a series of fictional books and stores, centered around a "diaper dimension". Where human adults are little and babied by giant amazons. No need to go into details of it all, but suffice to say it's pretty crazy.

Personally, I believe patents and copyrights stifle innovation and reduce the number of those who can otherwise benefit from those improvements. They also keep prices higher than they should b

Which is funny because I think (some) of the same companies produce both adult and infant diapers. I think it again, goes back to customer demand.  Because Depend sells junk and people buy it, there isn't a sense that they need to make any real changes to their design.  There is a statistic that said something like 1 in 5 people struggle with overactive bladder.. out of that group there is a smaller group with some level of incontinence, and out of that group there is a smaller group that could use something like what we're talking.  Since I am in that group, I would totally buy something that was as comfortable, and worked as well.  However, I am a minority in the market.  That is why I embrace the ABDL community. Because they demand bigger, better, and fun prints.  I am thankful to be able to have the products available to me that were developed  because folks demanded it.  That is a fact that I wish more product developers, and incontinent people knew.  If this was common knowledge more companies would be on that train and there would be a race to the best and cheapest.  

• Like 1

Ah, part of the reason I went with cloth diapers a long time ago.  Add layers to handle the needed capacity to get a good nights sleep....

Yes, it is only recently I'm able to consider disposable diapers for night time use - and yes, that is due to the ABDL community for both the diapers and higher capacity stuffers (sp?)....  I look for items that are functional in dealing with my issues and open to considering non-conventional sources....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, zzyzx said:

Ah, part of the reason I went with cloth diapers a long time ago.  Add layers to handle the needed capacity to get a good nights sleep....

Yes, it is only recently I'm able to consider disposable diapers for night time use - and yes, that is due to the ABDL community for both the diapers and higher capacity stuffers (sp?)....  I look for items that are functional in dealing with my issues and open to considering non-conventional sources....

Years ago, before high capacity disposables, I too had to switch to reusable cloth diapers. As a side sleeper, no disposable would hold up for me overnight. Even with a booster/stuffer. Then after after a month or two of switching my hips started hurting worse and worse. The added layers worked great to not leak, but the added bulk put too much of a lift on my hip. 

When betterdry finally the market it was all thanks to the ABDL community. And wow it was like a a godsend for me too. Now we have dozens of options.

• Like 2

When betterdry finally the market it was all thanks to the ABDL community. And wow it was like a a godsend for me too. Now we have dozens of options.

When did they come out with Betterdry?  I have only been using diapers for about 3 years and it was like a world was hidden to me before I started actively searching for answers and ordering things online.  After leaking several times with Depends Night defense (my first go-to before my issues got worse than they could handle) I got super frustrated and and started reading and searching more. Then I find online supplies, then I start to see all the baby print diapers, plastic pants and so on. popping up in searches, and blogs where people spoke about ABDL stuff but also a lot of useful information.  After getting over the shock value of it, I started learning a lot of tips and things I didn't have a clue about,  booster pads,  types of plastic pants, capacity ratings etc, Megamax, Betterdry...shoot, even how to not get diaper rash.    

On 5/19/2023 at 11:03 PM, Zombie_Turtle said:

When did they come out with Betterdry?  I have only been using diapers for about 3 years and it was like a world was hidden to me before I started actively searching for answers and ordering things online.  After leaking several times with Depends Night defense (my first go-to before my issues got worse than they could handle) I got super frustrated and and started reading and searching more. Then I find online supplies, then I start to see all the baby print diapers, plastic pants and so on. popping up in searches, and blogs where people spoke about ABDL stuff but also a lot of useful information.  After getting over the shock value of it, I started learning a lot of tips and things I didn't have a clue about,  booster pads,  types of plastic pants, capacity ratings etc, Megamax, Betterdry...shoot, even how to not get diaper rash.    

It had to of been at least 3 years ago, maybe 5. Betterdry was released around the same time as Crinklz was though. Both are only available online too. They are the exact same diaper, except Crinklz has abdl prints on it, and Betterdry is plain white. I suppose it's possible when searching for a plain diaper, the one with prints on it came up too, so maybe you just skipped over it?

If you haven't by now, do give a single bag of them a try. They are thicker than any store brand, but it's worth it having something that works without leaking. If they fit and work good for you, only then consider getting them by the case.

If you haven't by now, do give a single bag of them a try. They are thicker than any store brand, but it's worth it having something that works without leaking. If they fit and work good for you, only then consider getting them by the cas

For sure.  I use these at times.  Love em.  They fit me well and I basically abandoned Megamax for them.  Before Megamax I used Abena M4.  I actually noticed betterdry a while before I tridd them but weren't available at any of the places I shopped, and I didn't think they could be better than Megamax.  They are though, IMHO.

I've now found that I really like the InControl  diapers  from rearz.  The fit and comfort is good for me. They also hold a lot and that is good for me as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Ecoables cloth diapers and pocket diapers are sized up versions of their youth diapers.  They fit and work great, they actually let your hips breathe and have a really high rise in the back.  They are super comfortable and well made, I have switched over completely and no longer have to pull a hundred pound trash can up the driveway every week.  Tuck in the inner leg gussets.  The pockets can be stuffed with a prefold or the snap in inserts.  I use the pocket as a cover over the fitted cloth diaper with an insert and they last all night without leaks.  I am surprised more people don’t use them.

I can actually see that working for a scaled up youth diaper (which is 10-14 years old). By that age their body shape would be closer to that of an adult. Still not quite the same, but potentially doable for some adult body shapes.

11 hours ago, Rothpirate said:

By youth I mean toddler all the way up to youth, if you check the website they are all the same shape.

Ok I did take a look. They don't have any definitive pictures showing the actual cut and shape of each diaper, but if you look close you can spot many differences. As an example, their cloth diaper for a 3 year old doesn't have any front wings on it. Now look at their adult sized diaper of the same product line. See they have front wings. Another example, pay close attention to how high the diaper extends up. They are nowhere close to the same for a 3 year old as an adult.

You're confusing the same product line for different ages, with an exact scaled up version across all ages. And they are definitely more different than just being scaled up. They are shaped differently. Hence my original post, there are no adult diapers shaped like a baby's.