Trash Changes

Incont

The garbage pickup system is changing here and causing me some headaches. The old system was: use our own cans, trash picked up twice a week.

The new system is only one larger can, with pick-up once a week. They won't take any bags not in the can with the lid closed. As I'm sure most of you know, incontinence generates a lot of garbage, and mixed with our regular household trash and breaking down mail-order boxes we are finding it hard to contain all our garbage in the one can.

There is not an official system to get a second can yet, but I have written the "questions?" e-mail address provided on the notices to ask for special consideration. With the heat of summer coming, I sure don't want a large bag of diapers sitting around for an extra week waiting for room in the can!

• Like 1

Some communities have authorized an extra bin for those with incontinence.  The down side is that you must disclose your medical status in what in some instances is part of the public record.  You may have to push for that special consideration.

--John

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zzyzx said:

@Incont / Mikey:

<semi-joking suggestion coming>

Time to switch to cloth (reusable) diapers?

A good reason too, I will probably give up daytime pull-on disposables in favor of my training-style pants I can get away with during the day.

This sounds like a nightmare.  I'm sorry you have to deal with this.  hopefully something get's figured out and you get a proper sized waste container.  I wish folks that made decisions about these types of things were more considerate of the outcomes for those affected by them. 

Make sure you follow up on that request for a second can too. Make sure to mention they should NOT make the second can specially colored for incontinence or medical trash. Otherwise they will be forcing people to literally advertise to the entire neighborhood they have a medical condition.

• Like 1

Make sure to mention they should NOT make the second can specially colored for incontinence or medical trash. Otherwise they will be forcing people to literally advertise to the entire neighborhood they have a medical condition.

seems like that could almost be viewed as harassment or discrimination in some manner.   

2 hours ago, John Davis said:

Zombie, one community (I forget where) last year classified used diapers as biowaste and required highly visible biowaste containers.  As it was a city  health regulation, those involved had no choice and were "outed" for all to see.😱

--John

Which is a complete overreach and abuse of power. It's already well established by many organizations that normal human waste is NOT classified as a biological hazard or medical waste. It's just regular residential waste waste. (Though diapers are allowed to be tossed in with other medical waste, it isn't required). As per the CDC, WHO, webmd, and others.

So yeah, it's a serious lawsuit just waiting to happen if some town our county decides to do that to their own residents.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have had a few diaper pails over the years. Most recently a decor one for adult sized briefs.  Assuming at least one soiled brief per day, the can really stinks up after just a few days.  The bags inside are clear so that it is obvious what is inside.  The can smelled so bad after a while, I had to throw it away.  Now I seal each brief or two in a bag and then put those in a black trash bag.  I take the waste out every two days.  Wet briefs are sometimes just mixed with regular trash.  The underpads partly obscure the used briefs.  I wonder if I should get a ubbi steel can. Any ideas?