Will your booster pads explode?

John Davis

Will your booster pads explode?

Well, not exactly “explode.”  One manufacturer brags about the ultra-high absorbent capacity of its booster pads, although they do not list the actual capacity. Then they caution users against flooding these very booster pads.

Users report that some booster pads can split or burst, spreading saturated SAP gel crystals “everywhere."😱 Reportedly they swell up without leaking a drop until they suddenly “explode.” Several brands of booster pads share this tendency to over-absorb and then split or burst. These boosters usually are those that, in advertising, stress their ultra-high absorbency.

The problem seems to be that the manufacturer did not provide casings large enough to contain the SAP gel crystals when at maximum absorbency. Although one can plan to change their diaper before these booster pads are maximally soaked, that seems to defeat their very purpose. I hate having to clean up SAP gel crystals and am sure you will share my sentiments. Fortunately, most booster pads available from mainstream manufacturers and medical supply houses do not share this fault and will provide reliable and trouble-free service.

--John

High sap content with low padding content will almost always do that. It's why those paspds are so cheap and prone to failure, because you get what you pay for.

I don't normally use booster pads though. Long ago I realized it's better to combine the cost of a diaper and the booster pad, and just get a better diaper at that same price. You'll end up with every bit the same absorbency or more, and will also have a better functioning diaper that is WAY less likely to leak.

For the few times a booster does make sense, the absolute best functioning with lowest cost possible is a baby diaper. Because of their economy of scale. I tear off the side tapes (it's incredibly easy, just hold it at the base of the tape and pull up. They come off very easy this way). When it gets saturated enough it will overflow into your adult diaper. Or you can change it out with another one to greatly extend the wear life of your adult diaper.

• Like 1

Slomo, good points.  Although I use a booster and you don't, we are in agreement re the important points.   I always examine the cost of a booster pad versus the difference in price to get a better diaper.  Actually, I try to see whether using a booster pad in two or more diapers will save me from having to use an extra diaper.  

Usually large booster pads are unnecessary.  The "sweet spot" often is the medium or small size.  Large boosters have the same problem as the diapers themselves - much of the rear of the pad is still dry when you change the diaper.

--John

@John Davis

A booster pad is designed to allow for you to be able to extend the life of a diaper a little longer than it would normally be legitimately usable. A booster pad is designed to allow the liquid that you're releasing to go through to the diapers padding, and once that particular padding has been saturated, then you can wear a booster and the booster itself along with a diaper probably will be taking a full soaking.

When I usually work a regular shift, I do not put a booster in my diaper unless it's necessary. They are helpful and they are very very good if you have to go longer duration without making a change. There is an advantage to it however, because it makes your diaper thicker, but the disadvantages is that when you put the booster in the diaper, it does have a habit of moving around sometimes when you're trying to apply the diaper. So far, boosters have been helpful, and I have them if I need them, and I will use them as necessary.

I haven't had any of them explode, however I have had them be pretty saturated, along with a diaper, when it gets that saturated, it feels like it weighs about 10 pounds however!

Just like they would say for a diaper, your booster is only as good as the product itself. The better the product the more it will be helpful to the person wearing it! this is important because you want quality stuff when you're trying to deal with incontinence, anything less and you might as well not even be wearing a diaper, and a jokingly reset when I was wearing a diaper that couldn't even hold it, and hold at least a third of it, that I might as well just take off this bounty paper towel I had wrapped around me and pee on the floor, because that's what it feels like.

Brian

• Like 1