What do we really need in a diaper?

John Davis

What do we really need in a diaper?  What is essential?  There is a trend among the manufacturers of premium quality diapers to put every feature on they can think of.  Of course, all of that adds to the price of the diaper.

Do we really need a wetness indicator?  When these began, they were intended for caregivers, not for the wearer.  After all, we can just reach down and determine how wet our diaper is.

What about elastic waistbands?  I would opine that most of us stretch the waistbands out when we fasten the wings of the diaper.  The elastic is barely functional.

Internal standing leak guards - they are optional for those who dribble and change frequently but are essential for most of us with OAB and all of us where are fecal incontinent.

Good tapes - got to have them.  I have never seen a diaper where I criticized the tapes for working too well.

Leg elastics - we need good ones that are truly functional.  I have worn many less expensive diapers where the leg elastics just did not work as they were too loose.

Good backing material is essential.  Must not tear, rip, or suffer pinhole defects.

Absorbency must meet your needs.  This includes not only total absorbency, but also the rate of absorbency.  Don't forget second and third wettings.

Front plastic taping zones may be controversial.  I hate them as I don't need them.  They interfere with how I want to tape my diaper.  I tape my diapers once and the tape stays in place until I discard the diaper.

What have I overlooked?  What are your thoughts?

--John

I agree with you about the wetness indicator. Sure, it is good for caregivers, but I never understood it for people who are independent.  You can tell when you need to change. I also think the leak guards are helpful and am agnostic about the elastic waist band. I always thought it was just to make them more “underwear-like.”

For me, elastic waistbands are helpful. They make sure my diaper stays snug without getting too tight, and also help the diaper conform to my body shape. Of which helps contain any smells. They also help by allowing me to pull down the diaper for sitting on the toilet, then pull them back up into place. All without having to redo the tapes.

I continuously dribble and can also attest to the standing leak guards helping, a lot. They reduce leaks around my legs, and really help to reduce leaks while sleeping on my side. 

I feel the premium diapers do have enough capacity and padding to take multiple floodings or all day dribbling for 12 hours (or more), so I'd say they are good where they're at. A few even go way beyond what's needed, but they're clearly for those who want to feel the bulk between their legs. Not really aimed or priced at those who want a diaper that will last through a work day.

Wetess indicators are a waste. ANY decent caregiver will be able to spot a diaper that needs changing from across the room. Or smell it. And we certainly don't need them for ourselves. Plus, they only indicate when when the diaper has been first used, not when it's nearing any sort of capacity. So they don't even do any good. Indicators need to be left off.

Tapes and plastic backing material could definitely be better and stronger. It's ok enough as is, bu5 just barely. I'd love to see getting rid of second chance tapes AND without needing a too-small tape landing zone. Three tapes per side would also be a big improvement. Though I'm sure all of that would mean more expensive diapers, which almost nobody wants. So that isn't likely to happen.

You did overlook colors and prints though. While completely secondary to their function, I see plenty of request for more colors (especially blue or light blue), and non-babyish prints. Personally I like Crinklz though.

• Like 3

The landing zones work well for me when my depth perception is wacked out.  I also like the tape guides for this reason. 

I also like colors and designs.  more choices there would be nice. 

I also think the "waddle cut" is great. I like how it makes a pocket around my anatomy so i don't have to worry how things are positioned. I have had leaks because I was too close to one side during a flood. 

• Like 1

First, I normally use cloth diapers...  But when it comes to disposables, I need something that can take a flood (at night, or possibly napping, or maybe miss-timing on a trip / vacation) and can be slipped on and off during the day when I'm mostly dry....  So the elastic waste band comes in handy for that.  And as to too strong a tap, well, mega-max gets interesting to try to use in the day as it is "fun" to try to untape that to use the restroom...    Agree that I don't need a wetness indicator.  Leak guards (for # 1) are needed to avoid leaks....

• Like 1

Slomo made a good point about waist elastics being functional for those who pull the diaper down to sit on the toilet and then pull the diaper back up again.  As that rarely is an option for me, I overlooked it.

I fully agree re needing more colors.  Sterile medical white is boring.  I doubt that colors add significantly to the cost of a diaper.  I think that blue can be the "stealth" color if we wear jeans.  If the diaper sticks out above the jeans' waistband, the diaper really is not recognizable as a diaper to the general public.

Nonetheless, most diaper manufacturers are afraid to leave off any features that appear on their competitor's diapers.

--John

I fully agree re needing more colors.  Sterile medical white is boring. 

How about some plaid like you'd see on some boxer shorts.  floral designs, wood grain. muscle cars....i've got ideas

I'm not sure my full feelings about it, but having some color or designs makes me feel a little less like this decrepit person with all these problems. 

• Like 1