Swim Diapers: does anyone have a good suggestion for ones to use when you're incontinent?

Brian

I'm writing this because I wanted to ask a very serious question, and I know that we will be able to talk about the best products. in my case I would like to find out what the best swim diaper would be. I'm not sure how you would use such a swim diaper, but I know that a swim diaper is used to keep the fecal matter contained within it, while allowing someone to use the diaper for urination and have that stay within it as well.

from what I understand, you put a swim diaper on, and then you're supposed you're supposed to be able to use it, and anything that comes out is held tightly in that swim diaper.

So I ask this question: what is the best type of swim diaper for someone to be able to swim? 

i've heard of rules in pools And I'm not sure exactly if they allow people to swim if they have incontinence and they use swim diapers, but I'm not sure exactly how you would approach such a question to be able to find out if it's OK to be able to swim if you're using a swim diaper. I know that a swim diaper does not work like a plastic backed diaper or a cloth diaper, because that's not what it's designed for, but I would like to find out the best swim diapers to use, because I want to make sure that if I have to swim or I want to swim, I keep myself active while also not allowing my incontinence to stop me from doing what I want to do. I can't help help the fact that I'm incontinent, and I've always been taught that if you have a problem, you try to find a solution to fix it, sometimes things are not fixable, but having a swim diaper would be more advantageous I think, because then I would be able to swim without worrying about what I release.

I'm lucky that I don't have zero control of bowel movement, but I'm not sure exactly how safe it would be if I didn't wear a swim diaper considering that I have been releasing when my body. Tells me to

So how do you go about getting quality swim diapers that can hold what they're supposed to hold? I'm wondering if a swim diaper is supposed to be something that is supposed to seal all the way around, so that you can be in the water and not be worried about what you are releasing.

Thoughts?

Brian

I am like Scarth - I use SoSecure.  It is a well constructed reusable swim diaper.  I highly recommend it.  However, you need enough agility to be able to put it on very snugly with its velcro attachments.

All reusable swim diapers are engineered to contain fecal leaks, not urine.

Please be responsible and don't take chances by just buying the cheapest product advertised as a "swim diaper."  If you contaminate a pool with a fecal leak💩, they have to drain, clean, and refill the pool.😱  Also, they will not be happy to see you again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John Davis said:

I am like Scarth - I use SoSecure.  It is a well constructed reusable swim diaper.  I highly recommend it.  However, you need enough agility to be able to put it on very snugly with its velcro attachments.

All reusable swim diapers are engineered to contain fecal leaks, not urine.

Please be responsible and don't take chances by just buying the cheapest product advertised as a "swim diaper."  If you contaminate a pool with a fecal leak💩, they have to drain, clean, and refill the pool.😱  Also, they will not be happy to see you again.

@John Davis@Scarth

I understand that a swim diaper is supposed to keep fecal matter from being able to be released in the water. I also know that if someone uses a swim diaper, then you end up with a situation where you may not be able to deal with the urination piece, And I also know exactly what a swimming diaper is supposed to do. I would never put a public a public pool in a position where they would have to do what they do to have to drain clean and refill a pool, but I have seen it happen a couple times because there is something in the pool that doesn't belong there, or they want to make sure that the pool is clean and sterile for the next person to be able to use.

That is why I'm asking the question I asked, because I wanna make sure if I decide to go swimming, that if I have to urinate I'm not gonna be peeing in the water, if I have to defecate I'm not going to be releasing it into the water. we all know that swim diapers are not 100% gonna hold everything that you release, In fact I expect that it might not hold everything that you release. You have to be able to think like the worst thing that can happen will happen without me knowing about it, so I wanna make sure that I'm doing the right thing, and have the right appropriate clothing for swimming If I'm incontinent. I'm not sure if they make swim diapers like they make for kids that can hold both, But I am curious!

I would never be irresponsible enough to allow something to release: However I would be remiss if I didn't have the proper equipment to deal with it that it wouldn't happen. When you're incontinent like I am, I don't wanna take any chances, and I wanna make sure that I can take care of my needs. swim diapers are things that I'm not sure of, So that is why I'm asking for help!

Thank you for your advice and counsel

Brian

• Like 1

I've tried the sosecure, as well as a bunch of others. Personally, I don't like swim diapers that try and "seal out water" as I've found that never happens. Even when on really snug, they simply can't make a seal at the top-back. That's because the small of the back is concave shaped. And water absolutely will seep in there. Worse still, they will hold that water in at the bottom and around the legs. Making it baloon up and sag when you get out. And a really snug fit there will make it more obvious you're sloshing around water with you.

There are two types of swim diapers I do like though. First is depends real fit, or adult swimmates (they are nearly identical in construction and absorbency, while real fit is cheaper but also falls apart faster).  Both should be good for an hour at best, and should contain minor messes long enough for you to make an exit. Though you will also want to wear regular swimwear over them, as neither will stay in place very well, and can be embarrassingly revealing.

The second type is a cheap (sub-$30) reusable pocket diaper. Most have a thin terry lining to make the pocket for an insertable pad. You can wear the pad on your way to the water, and discretely slip it out before going in. As well as discretely slip it back in after getting out. The terry lining helps hold just enough for making it to the water, or in between slides or other rides too. The "cheap" part is important though, because you actually don't want leak guards or a good seal around your legs. So when first getting out, quickly break the leg seal to let out any water that collected down there. And you should be OK for a little while, either before getting back in, or getting cleaned up and changed. And bonus, get the right swim diaper and you won't need an extra pair of swim shorts over it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Slomo

thank you for the information about swim diapers! it seems as if they are pretty good for what they're designed for, there's just a lot of them that you can choose from, And you have to find the right one. I will be looking into this in the next couple of weeks to see what I can find. and now the

Brian

just another quick question: is there such a garment that can protect you from both fecal incontinence and urinary incontinence when you're dealing with swimming? I know the idea is that you don't want to release in a swimming pool, so that is why you're wearing what you're wearing, but I was wondering if there is such a garment that you can wear that will take care of both, because I know that when you're dealing with fecal incontinence you're wearing a swim diaper to keep the fecal content within the swim diaper rather than within the pool.

If there is such an animal, I'd love to be able to find it, because I can probably get it!

Thanks!

Brian

23 hours ago, Brian said:

just another quick question: is there such a garment that can protect you from both fecal incontinence and urinary incontinence when you're dealing with swimming? I know the idea is that you don't want to release in a swimming pool, so that is why you're wearing what you're wearing, but I was wondering if there is such a garment that you can wear that will take care of both, because I know that when you're dealing with fecal incontinence you're wearing a swim diaper to keep the fecal content within the swim diaper rather than within the pool.

If there is such an animal, I'd love to be able to find it, because I can probably get it!

Thanks!

Brian

The closest I've come to that is a swim diaper that tries to make a full seal with dual elastic bands at the legs and waist. It's supposed to let you wear a regular diaper underneath.

Except like I mentioned,  that just doesn't work due to the small of the back. So unfortunately no, nothing I've ever found.

• Thanks 1

My situation is different from others, but due to other side effects of my chronic illness, I am able to swim during my pool’s “therapy hour” so I have tried many different adult swim diapers. 

My favorite is the Gabby’s Swim Diaper, it just fits me really well and I like how the Velcro strap on the front does not catch on my swimsuit:

https://www.mylilmiracle.com/products/gabbys-adult-swim-diaper?variant=32070088360071

My second favorite is the Splash About Shorts. They are snug, comfortable, and have nice leg and waist seals:

https://www.splashabout.com/splash-shorts-adult-black.html

I really wanted to like the SoSecure, but they just don’t fit me as well as the two swim diapers listed above. But they are popular and as those above me have mentioned, definitely worth a try!

Yes I have had accidents while in the pool. Yes it’s humiliating and yes people have noticed. But the good news is, no one has ever said anything to me (probably because almost everyone else swimming during the hour is also wearing swim diapers). My swim diapers have always contained my bowel accidents… Well maybe not always contained, but I have never had fecal matter escape into the pool. If I do leak, it usually creeps out the leg seals once I get out and start walking to the locker room. 

Anyways, good luck with your search! Trial by fire is sometimes the only way to truly learn 🙃

• Like 3

Hi all, I just got back from a week long cruise. Had plenty of swimming and lounging in the sun. And yes, I am fully urine incontinent. I wore something like in the link below, but mine is all blue and has boats and ducks on it. Nothing that screams babyish, but not adulting either.

https://rearz.ca/dinosaur-adult-pocket-diaper/

I wore decent gym shorts/ teeshirt over it to and from the pool. With a baby diaper inserted into the pocket. It worked perfectly as I was able to discretely remove the baby diaper when taking off my shorts and shirt. And quickly reinsert it when drying off. Well, except for one time when I forgot to remove it before going into the water. Kept leaking pool water after I got out, so I removed the ladened diaper, and while drying off I was able to somewhat dry off some of the terry lining too. (Again, all discretely). That held me over just long enough to get back to my cabin.

Other times with the slides I was able to quickly break a leg seal and let enough water out that I didn't leak all over till I was back in the water again. A word of caution though, make sure you have a snug-ish rise and fit. Otherwise a little of the left over water will make it sag in the back. Thankfully my wife pointed it out to me and I was able to readjust before anyone noticed.

In and out of the water, not a single person batted an eye. Life guard, parents, kids, nobody cared, if anyone even realized. And yes I was being self conscious enough to to keep an eye out for others reactions.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/19/2023 at 4:44 PM, Brian said:

I'm not sure if they make swim diapers like they make for kids that can hold both, But I am curious!

Hi Brian,

also swim diapers for kids can’t hold urine. But to be honest - I think no one cares about that. Everybody is peeing in the pool… Just make shure that #2 don‘t comes out, because this means that (if it is a public pool) they have to close it and run a disinfection cycle.

The only thing that actually works are so-called therapy suits. These are fitted neoprene suits that are constructed like dry suits and under which you can wear a normal diaper.

The things are very expensive and from my point of view the absolute overkill.

Many who have such a problem help themselves in case of doubt with anal plugs. Basically, you should just go to the toilet and empty your bowles somehow before you go into the water. That is usually enough.

• Thanks 1