waking up in a clean diaper: can it be done?

emily1890

is it possible to wake in a clean diaper.

at night, I do my best to limit what I eat and drink, change before bed so I'm all clean, I still wake up at 1 or 2 in the morning, diaper absolutely filthy (sometimes it's even leaked)

I'm not sure.. it's just disturbing  my sleep. after changing, I can't go back to sleep no matter what. even if I've eaten very little in the day, I still manage a full diaper at night.

• Like 2

@emily1890

3 hours ago, emily1890 said:

is it possible to wake in a clean diaper.

at night, I do my best to limit what I eat and drink, change before bed so I'm all clean, I still wake up at 1 or 2 in the morning, diaper absolutely filthy (sometimes it's even leaked)

I'm not sure.. it's just disturbing  my sleep. after changing, I can't go back to sleep no matter what. even if I've eaten very little in the day, I still manage a full diaper at night.

I am not sure if what you are are looking for is possible, and the reason I say that is because when you are when you are dealing with a situation where are you are wearing and using a diaper, for whatever reason, most of the time you want to try to keep your diaper clean if you are trying hard. My problem is that I went to diapers 24/7 because of the amount of time I was spending in the bathroom at night on the toilet waiting for something to happen that never did, or what happens is I end up waiting and I can't get up fast enough to be able to deal with the situation, so I end up evaluating evaluating the situation and then going to change if necessary.

I've learned from experience that it would be kind of silly to expect it You would be waking up in a clean diaper. the reason I say that is because I put one on when I go to bed, and I wear one anyway all day long, so to expect that I'm going to have a dry diaper in the morning would be like expecting me to grow two heads! part part of the reason I went to diapers 24/7 is because I did not want to waste my time and worry about the fact that I was constantly having accidents or constantly up all night and not being able to sleep. when you have a diaper on most of the time, you can sleep because you don't have to worry. Sure you're gonna end up making a mess, and you might have a dirty diaper, and you might have to change it in the middle of the night, but if you are doing that, then at least if you are waking up in a dirty diaper, you're not waking up and having to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, because your diaper is there to help you.

For example last night I ended up having to get up twice. because I knew I was eating something that would go through my stomach, I took a diaper off and went in and used the bathroom because I had to clear my bowels. When I eat something that is very greasy or otherwise makes contact with my system and it's something that I don't seem to process well, what usually happens is I end up with a dirty diaper. then like you said, you end up spending half the time either in the bathroom cleaning yourself up, or you end up spending most time trying to get back to sleep. Part of my way to take care of that is to make sure I'm taking my hydroxyzine and take other drugs such as baclofen and acetaminophen as well as gabapentin to help me relax and not have my limbs go crazy because of autonomic response so it's there's no Way to sometimes calm down my muscles if they're constantly moving or if I'm not comfortable in bed. It might sound silly, but making sure I'm fully medicated helps me to sleep, and I would rather use my diaper and get up and change it rather than have to get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom over and over, which is why I went to diapers in the first place, along with the fact that I was having problems with diverticulitis IBS and accidents, And it's a lot easier to deal with that situation if you are prepared for it. far too often things happen for a reason, and I have a feeling that this happened the way it did because of something that was changing in my body. as I keep saying I am not afraid of having a dirty diaper and I'm not afraid of using it. it's the taboo that you have to get over, the fact that a grown man or a grown woman may have to use a diaper rather than a toilet sometimes, i've gotten over that stigma and I and I try to help others deal with other things.

As I said I don't think that you can say that you will always have a clean diaper, I don't think that that is possible very often if you are actually known to use the diaper at night because if you have to go, you're going to go. using the potty training or Change to your diet or your liquid intake may end up cutting down cutting down on the amount of stuff that you drink or eat, but if you really have to go, you will go anyway, so I don't think that expecting to have a clean diaper is something that is realistic if you are using your diaper as intended, and it also depends on your availability to hold. if for some reason you can't hold it, you will have a dirty diaper, and if you have a dirty diaper, at least hopefully you don't have a wet bed or a dirty bed.

When I first went to diapers, I was having accidents twice a night at some points, and then I was using the wrong diapers, which made the mess even worse, and I've never ever made a mess in my own bed like that like that. sure I've made a mess in hospitals, when something went through me and they just help me clean up, but not really in my bed that way, and if I had made a mess I don't remember when that was. I'm glad I went to diapers because I'm not sure what is going to be released or when, And sometimes I can't get to the bathroom fast enough to be able to do anything, and to make it worse, the last time that couldn't get to the bathroom that fast It was almost like a dead ringer because I had already felt something, but it was something that happened so fast that I couldn't even say OKI have to do this, I had already done it before I even rose for my chair to walk across the room. when you end up with that kind of sensitivity, wearing diapers is a good idea because you're not sure how fast things will happen or why it happens so quickly.

In closing all you do know however is that there's something that is going on, and you have to find a way to deal with the situation. wearing a diaper is the appropriate action in my case, and I wouldn't worry about how dirty diaper, but it sounds to me like you have done everything that you can do to make sure that as much as possible you are limiting your intake with your liquid your food and other foods that might be causing issues, but I don't think the limiting your intake of food or drink would stop having a dirty diaper, that may be because of some sort of medical condition or medical reasoning. I was always of the impression that if I had to release, the reason why I have a diaper on is so I can do it without feeling bad about it, and I have had dirty diapers before, during the day, during the night, sometimes at work, but regardless of what happens you will have a dirty diaper, just a matter of is there a reason why you're having a dirty diaper at a certain time of day or night?

Unless there is something that you think or maybe a medical professional thinks is causing you to soil yourself or have a dirty diaper every morning, and they think there's a medical reason for it. other than that, the only thing I can suggest is that you have done what you can do, And unless there is a way to keep from messing your diaper, I don't think there's much to say other than the fact that it just happens. I know that it can be a pain in the butt, but I would rather dirty diaper then a wet or dirty bed.

Keep us advised of the situation, I would love to see if there is a way that you were able to solve this problem! sometimes having incontinence means that you have to do things differently or try differing strategies, but want to but one thing I have learned is that I'd rather have a dirty diaper than a wet or dirty bed.

Brian

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Apache said:

Do you use the toilet before bed? that might help, try and get out all the pee and poop before putting on a clean diaper ready for bed.

@emily1890

I agree with @Apache - this might sound silly but it's the same thing that probably we were taught when we were growing up. we use the bathroom before bed, and then if incontinent or a bedwetter, you put a diaper on. if you go into the bathroom and try to empty the sort of speak before you go to bed, you may end up having less of an opportunity to soil yourself at night. however, I must give you a word of warning: do not lose any sleep over it if for some reason you end up with a dirty diaper. as I said a dirty diaper just means that you are driving back being able to get rid of what you don't need, and it is not a good idea to try to fight your body your body if it's trying to release. A dirty diaper just indicates that you need to use the bathroom, And I can guarantee you when I get up in the morning my diaper is soaked!

Brian

• Like 1

@Apache and @Brian beat me to it. I was going to mention almost the same things. Try going before bed, every night, and for at least a month. Not only will doing so help reduce the likelihood of a mess, but eventually you might be able to re-train your natural body rythem to go before going to sleep. It might solve your issue completely. Though even if not completely, it sounds like even a little less mess would help you at night. Any as mentioned, a full night of rest is more important than waking up eqrly and having to deal with changing.

Also know your intestines are quite long, and for most people it takes 12-18 hours for food to fully pass through their digestive system. And that your system is also triggered to move your bowels more after eating. So really, you should be limiting how much you eat for breakfast and lunch, in addition to not eating anything a few hours before going to bed.

A breakfast high in fiber will also help make things more....predictable at the other end. I have just 1.5 cups of plain oatmeal in the morning (with local honey for tast and allergy control). Followed by just one piece of fruit for lunch. In this I'm fairly consistent in needing to use the toilet about an hour after waking. Even when I have an IBS-D flare up.

As for the overnight leaks, that usually means you need to be using a better diaper. What brand are you currently using? And does it have a high rise in the back and with tall leak barriers along the legs? Have you also considered using a diaper cover too? With the right protection leaks should be a very seldom thing, if ever.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Slomo said:

As for the overnight leaks, that usually means you need to be using a better diaper. What brand are you currently using? And does it have a high rise in the back and with tall leak barriers along the legs? Have you also considered using a diaper cover too? With the right protection leaks should be a very seldom thing, if ever.

@Slomo

Right again one of the most important things is you have to have the proper equipment to deal with the situation. A diaper is a diaper, but every diaper is different, and every diaper has its positives and its negatives Period to me a diaper is a plastic backed solution Because if you are fully incontinent both ways severely incontinent by the way, you probably don't wanna be wearing a cloth diaper because this cloth diaper is not going to be able to hold anything that you are trying to release. The only way a cough diaper works well is if you end up putting on multiples and then covering them up with appropriate diaper diaper covers

your diaper is the most important thing. the better the diaper the better the quality, the easier it will be to do exactly what it needs to do. if you're using the cheap diapers, then the diaper is not going to last long, and or it would leak and cause major problems. I can't tell you how many times during 2019 and 2020 that I would have a problem with my stomach or something like that or something would make me sick, and whatever it did it went right through me, and then and then before I knew it, the diaper was on but it never held what it was supposed to, and left a mess all over my bed all over me all over what I was wearing, and it didn't even provide any provide any odor control, because diapers are cheap, because, because all of the insurance companies want the cheapest possible things available for those that are under insurance coverage.

In my case the best diaper is the one that works best for me which is the Mega Max. A Mega Max is based on the fact that a person is incontinent both ways and severely incontinent It is based on a 12 hour use, because it is designed to last 12 hours. The problem with most diapers now is that they don't even last too, because that's the way insurance companies want them to last. One of the things that makes no sense to me, although I guess it does if you're an insurance company, is that instead of making a person comfortable, and maintaining their dignity and their and their mobility and their ability to function, people use the cheapest possible things. Because they're using the cheap stuff, they always seem to have problems with the way it works, and they always seem to have a severe mess to clean up, because the quality of the diaper went down the toilet, because the insurance companies don't want us to have good products.

When you're a baby and you are being raised as a kid, your mother needs to be able to make sure that you're comfortable and that you can last more than 15 minutes in a diaper. Sometimes I think when we're growing up our parents had it better than we did because they knew exactly what to do. New diapers nowadays don't even hold a candle to what they were back in the 70s eighties or 90s. It seems like ever since they took the plastic plastic out of diapers and made them all clothed back And then they took out all of the perfumes and dyes want out of them because they wanted to protect a child's skin or whatever, because a hyperologenic stuff. I can understand that, because if you're allergic to it, it would cause problems with it wearing it.

If you're totally incontinent you need the best diaper possible. I can't believe that some of the places that I called when I did all of my research in 2018 2019 and 2020, would tell me that anything that they are selling is comparable to something that I would expect. If I'm totally incontinent for example, I'm not looking for a bounty paper towel to stick on my **** to be able to use. I am looking for a diaper that will be able to withstand it, and be able to withhold the odor so that I so that I can deal with it with dignity and with Grace and skill. most of these companies keep on trying to push their products on us like the prevail air and all of the other garbage diapers out there, telling us that it's the best they're gonna get But they always tell us that they want us to use their products, but if you Really take a look at this, what should happen are these companies that make these crappy diapers should be forced to use their own products, and then they should have to sit in their own mess in their own products and be able to tell me how wonderful their products are not! the best thing that you can do for a person that is severely incontinent is to keep them dry comfortable happy and clean and clean. none of the diapers that are out there nowadays can even come close to that, without being that can be dealt with easily. If you're dealing with cloth diapers and you are used to it, then that's one thing, if you're washing them every week that's another thing, But for me having a good quality mega Max diaper is 100 times better than having anything anything that is cloth backed available out there to use.

Remember the idea here is that the OP is it is saying that she does not know if you can put on a clean diaper and maintain it clean all night. In my case, that is an impossibility. Most of the time you want the diaper there to be able to help you, but the best thing to do is to make sure that you have a good diaper in case you can't get to the bathroom on time, and you have to have the proper equipment to deal with it. which means that you must have a diaper cover and a good diaper, and maybe even a onesie to be able to keep the diaper in position. the idea of wearing a diaper is so that you don't have to get up Period of course you're gonna have to get up and change the diaper, but if you have a good 12 hour diaper, then i'm messing your diaper that you have to clean up, but it would be a lot easier than having to deal with a bounty paper towel as your diaper.

Any person that is incontinent should use the system that works for them. regardless of what type of diaper system you use whether it decloth whether it be plastic backed, whether it be a IO or whether it be something different different: you need to have a good diaper, you also need to have a good diaper cover, and you also should have a way to keep the diaper in position so that it doesn't leak. order control is the most important thing, you wouldn't want to wear a diaper that stinks to high heavens simply because it is low quality. I've seen it happen where I am wearing a really messy one, and it smells bad, but most of what has been ejected is dried out because of the fact that the diaper is so good at absorbing liquid If. if it absorbs liquids and it holds it in, all you have to do is clean off the mess and you're golden.

So that's why I say the best thing that you can do is have good equipment and a good diaper. You can't even get the first base if you don't have a quality diaper to be able to put on before you put the other equipment over it! it would be like if I tried to sell a car without a battery, and I wouldn't sell my battery! that is ridiculous, because he would need such a battery. you need a good diaper in order to be able to take care of your issues.

As has been stated I wouldn't worry about whether you keep your diaper clean or dirty. If you can keep it clean wonderful, but I wouldn't worry about it. The reason you're wearing a diaper is for whatever reason, you may not be able to have the ability to hold it, and you might not be able to deal with it right away, so instead of having to run your diaper is there. the better the diaper the better the way that you can handle it. that is that is one thing that I wish that all of these diaper companies would understand. if you spend money and you make a good product people will flock to you, and people will say hey this is a good product!

Good luck!

Brian

Emily, having a "clean" diaper in the morning may be an unrealistic expectation.  That may be adding to your stress and we know that stress contributes to incontinence.

For nights you need 1) a premium highly absorbent diaper, 2) a booster pad in the diaper to increase the absorbency, 3) a diaper cover or "plastic" pants in case of a leak, and 4) something to help keep the diaper in place like a onesie or spandex shorts.

I will note that a premium diaper like MegaMax will have very tall internal standing leak guards which will reduce fecal leaks and help keep urine in the main channel of the diaper's mat until it is absorbed.

Emily, it is normal to wake up during the night to find that you have used your diaper.  I emphasize the word "normal."🙂

--John

• Thanks 1

I agree with the above. Some people may say it is overkill, but a good diaper with a booster pad and plastic pants works well for me. I also use a onesie at night to keep everything in place. Fewer leaks, which is really what I want.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1