Best diaper for fecal incontinence?

John Davis

Most any good quality diaper cover should protect against fecal leaks, I personally prefer the Gary activewear PUL cover as it also help muffle and crinkling from my diaper. Though outright stopping any odor is always going to be a challenge for any diaper cover. Mostly because of the concave shape to the small or our back, but also because even just moving around or sitting down will let air (and odors) escape.

For real good odor control I've seen the best approach is an internal deodorant taken daily. Anything containing chlorophylln copper (such as Nullo) or bismuth subgallate (such as Devrom) should work good for that. Thankfully I don't have to deal with bowell accidents all too often, so I haven tried using them myself. But from what I've seen it's supposed to be worth it if you have normal occurances.

• Like 2

Oops, posted that last reply in the wrong spot.

The best diapers are all going to be plastic backed. You'll want a higher rise in the back and front, closer to your actual waist line (near the belly button). This way you'll get a better seal around the top, and even if it's a lot you won't have to worry about leaks over the top. You'll also want tall standing leak guards, with a snug fit all the way around your legs.

My opinion, but Betterdry (or any of their Crinklz variations) fits that bill the best. Everyone's body shape is different though, so you're best off getting samples or a single bag from several different places. Test them under several different conditions, and narrow down what really works best for you.

• Like 3

In addition to good leg gathers, I would stress the need for very tall internal standing leak guards.  MegaMax is a good example.  Internal standing leak guards keep stool away from the leg gathers and also keeps urine in the main channel of the diaper to give it more time for absorption.

I usually (but not always) choose a plastic-backed diaper to help contain odor.  Of course, it will be impossible for the diaper to contain fecal odor.  Vinyl or rubber "plastic" pants will help.

--John

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

For diaper covers, I prefer either the Gary Activewear or the NorthShore Care Trifecta covers.  Both are breathable. However, should I anticipate being in a public situation when I think I am at a high risk of a fecal accident, I will wear a rubber cover for better odor containment.

--John