Howdy

AUG168

12 hours ago, AUG168 said:

Hey there everyone. I’m 55 yo and live in FL. I have BPH and OAB. I’ve tried medication with no luck, doctor doesn’t suggest surgery yet. So for now it’s pullups and pads during the day and training pants at night.

@AUG168: Welcome.

I also had early on set of BPH and with my slightly high PSA numbers opted for watch and wait.  After trying the medications for a 90 day trial, I told the doctor I wasn't refilling them due to side affects....   Unfortunately, I waited a bit long and end up with reduced bladder capacity from the effects of having BPH for a while before having surgical treatment.

If you are dribbling (light incontinence), I assume along with the OAB diagnosis the Urologist suspects the bladder wall has thickened and muscle strengthened.  If that is the case, you may already be in the same boat I am with reduced bladder capacity. 

If you are only aware of TURP type procedures for BPH issues, please look into the minimally evasive techniques that are currently available.  Depending on your urologist, they may not offer them and you might have to find a different one to review those options.  Personally, I choose to get the Rezūm procedure.  There are other minimally evasive procedures now available.  One issue with using the procedure I did is you don't get a tissue sample to test for cancer.  In my case, I'm low risk of cancer, and even though my PSA numbers have returned to "above normal" for what is the "normal expected range" my Urologist calls my numbers as "supported by the size of my prostate", so not out of the ordinary for the large size.  And we continue to monitor the trend lines of my PSA and Free PSA numbers about every six months.  As to the Rezume procedure, it only reduces the prostate around the urethra and leaves the rest in tact.    I had my procedure shortly after the two year follow up from the original experimental procedures was published and the procedure was cleared for normal practice.  (It was interesting to get the diagnostic code used, needed to clear the procedure with my insurance, as it was very new at the time....)  A piece of me wishes the procedure had been available a few years earlier AND that I noticed the slow decrease in bladder capacity over time earlier.

• Like 1