Let's talk about rashes

Slomo

Let's face it, rashes are going to happen. So let me impart some of my hard-gained wisdom.

First, know your skin will eventually adapt. When I first became incontinent I had a LOT of rashes. Usually a new one every week and eventually one rash that never went away for 6 months straight. After about 10 years I'd only get 1-2 a month. And after 20 years only 1-2 a year.

Second, prevention really is the best cure for a rash. This means getting your skin completely dry at least once a day. One person I remember said he would sit on the toilet for an hour each day to try and dry out his skin. Talk about a bad idea though, sitting on top a nearly enclosed bowl or water might never allow that to happen.  Me, I lie down on my bed with my ceiling fan on high. Even a desk fan works good for this, and in 5 minutes I'm good to go. Of course, having full incontinence with a constant dribble means I also need to use a baby diaper, carefully placed to catch any leaks. And back when I had urge incontinence I also laid on top of a reusable bed pad for just in case, while also staying close to the bathroom.

Third, ointment or cream- they are not the same. To prevent a rash, once dried out, use an ointment. This creates a barrier to protect your skin from the acidic damage urine can cause. To heal from a rash you already have, once dried out, use a cream instead. This absorbs into the skin and helps it to heal. And once absorbed you can also use an ointment to further protect your skin from more damage.

My cream of choice is a prescription only, called triple diaper cream (NOT triple paste, this is zinc, nystatin and 2% hydrocortizone steroid). It works wonders on cuts, burns, acne, scars, rashes, you name it. My ointment of choice is Desition original, which I also use to cut down on friction rashes when I expect to be moving around a lot. Whatever you choose, just make sure it has zinc in it and use the right one for the right purpose.

Fourth, consider it is not a rash. It could be a yeast infection. Like old fashioned jock itch or athletes foot. Drying out will help some, but only temporarirly.  And no amount of ointment or cream is going to help.  If you have a rash that doesn't at least start geting better in 3 days, switch to an anti fungal. Most any cream or spray works good, such as over the counter Lotramin or Dr.Schols. Once healed, step up on trying to get completely dried out down there. Yeast infections most often occure when too much moisture is present for too long.

Fifth, which leads to hair. For a cave man that didn't wear underwear or pants, having hair was necessary to keep down friction, temper heat/cold, and maybe even attract a cave woman with the added scent. Now though, and with incontinence in the mix, it's a burden that traps moisture and heat, ends up retaining a bad urine smell, and causes more rashes. So it realltly needs to be cut back or at least cut short. 

I personally use an electric hair trimmer with the shortest attachment guard. The guard is need so you don't nick loose skin. And I only need to do it a out once a mo th. Others like to completely shave however often they prefer, but I get skin bumps so that's out. And some brave people like to use hair remover cream (which is notorious for its burning down there so be carefull), or an epilator (which I tried once and am not ashamed to say hurt too much). Another alternative, if you're still young enough and have the money, is laser hair removal. I REALLY wish I had gotten that done, but it doesn't work on very light or grey hairs so that ship sailed for me a while ago.

Sixth, and last but not least. Do NOT use cheaper diapers. They have bad or non existant skin barriers. The inner most layer that lets urine though, but keeps it off your skin. And also do not fully absorb urine or lock it away, which allows even once absorbed urine to come back into contact with your skin again. Basically, if what you're using ever feels clammy or wet after the first wetting, or a few hours, then you seriously need to consider something better. And don't let the cost of each diaper fool you, not only do you get what you pay for but a more expensive diaper can actually cost less per day thanks to needing fewer changes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Slomo, great topic.  You have summarized what took me years to learn via trial and error.  Let's hope readers will appreciate the value of what you have written.👍

One thing I would like to add is the importance of a hand mirror for self-inspection of those hard-to-see diaper areas.  This is to identify early skin irritation before it becomes an actual rash.

I dry out every day after my shower by sitting on a cloth booster pad or on an open diaper.  If I leak, I merely need to tape up the diaper.  At every diaper change I clean up either with a damp washcloth or wipes.  I then stand in front of a heater with a fan to dry out.

For rash avoidance, Extra Virgin olive oil provides a nice light barrier that is easy to apply and remove.  When I need more protection I use Desitin Daily Defense.  If I feel that I am at risk of a bowel accident and will not be able to change soon thereafter, I choose a barrier cream with move Zinc Oxide.  That will provide an effective barrier between the skin and stool but is more difficult to apply and remove.

I completely shave my pubic hair and my genitals.  Shaving the scrotum is a tedious business and any nick is sure to leave a bloody diaper afterward.

--John

• Like 2

Thanks John Davis. And agreed, the only way to get a good handle on rashes is decades of trial and error. Or hopefully from someone else who's been through it. That's what I'm about on here. Trying to make my decades of hardship mean something- by helping others through (or avoid) it too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Davis said:

I dry out every day after my shower by sitting on a cloth booster pad or on an open diaper.  If I leak, I merely need to tape up the diaper.  At every diaper change I clean up either with a damp washcloth or wipes.

That's what I do to avoid diaper rashes. I make sure I am thoroughly cleaned and in between diaper changes while getting the diaper all prepared, I sit on a booster pad, or on a cheap pull up that I can throw away. Afterwards, I put on m my diaper, booster and get on with the rest of the day.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Slomo said:

Let's face it, rashes are going to happen. So let me impart some of my hard-gained wisdom.

First, know your skin will eventually adapt. When I first became incontinent I had a LOT of rashes. Usually a new one every week and eventually one rash that never went away for 6 months straight. After about 10 years I'd only get 1-2 a month. And after 20 years only 1-2 a year.

Second, prevention really is the best cure for a rash. This means getting your skin completely dry at least once a day. One person I remember said he would sit on the toilet for an hour each day to try and dry out his skin. Talk about a bad idea though, sitting on top a nearly enclosed bowl or water might never allow that to happen.  Me, I lie down on my bed with my ceiling fan on high. Even a desk fan works good for this, and in 5 minutes I'm good to go. Of course, having full incontinence with a constant dribble means I also need to use a baby diaper, carefully placed to catch any leaks. And back when I had urge incontinence I also laid on top of a reusable bed pad for just in case, while also staying close to the bathroom.

Third, ointment or cream- they are not the same. To prevent a rash, once dried out, use an ointment. This creates a barrier to protect your skin from the acidic damage urine can cause. To heal from a rash you already have, once dried out, use a cream instead. This absorbs into the skin and helps it to heal. And once absorbed you can also use an ointment to further protect your skin from more damage.

My cream of choice is a prescription only, called triple diaper cream (NOT triple paste, this is zinc, nystatin and 2% hydrocortizone steroid). It works wonders on cuts, burns, acne, scars, rashes, you name it. My ointment of choice is Desition original, which I also use to cut down on friction rashes when I expect to be moving around a lot. Whatever you choose, just make sure it has zinc in it and use the right one for the right purpose.

Fourth, consider it is not a rash. It could be a yeast infection. Like old fashioned jock itch or athletes foot. Drying out will help some, but only temporarirly.  And no amount of ointment or cream is going to help.  If you have a rash that doesn't at least start geting better in 3 days, switch to an anti fungal. Most any cream or spray works good, such as over the counter Lotramin or Dr.Schols. Once healed, step up on trying to get completely dried out down there. Yeast infections most often occure when too much moisture is present for too long.

Fifth, which leads to hair. For a cave man that didn't wear underwear or pants, having hair was necessary to keep down friction, temper heat/cold, and maybe even attract a cave woman with the added scent. Now though, and with incontinence in the mix, it's a burden that traps moisture and heat, ends up retaining a bad urine smell, and causes more rashes. So it realltly needs to be cut back or at least cut short. 

I personally use an electric hair trimmer with the shortest attachment guard. The guard is need so you don't nick loose skin. And I only need to do it a out once a mo th. Others like to completely shave however often they prefer, but I get skin bumps so that's out. And some brave people like to use hair remover cream (which is notorious for its burning down there so be carefull), or an epilator (which I tried once and am not ashamed to say hurt too much). Another alternative, if you're still young enough and have the money, is laser hair removal. I REALLY wish I had gotten that done, but it doesn't work on very light or grey hairs so that ship sailed for me a while ago.

Sixth, and last but not least. Do NOT use cheaper diapers. They have bad or non existant skin barriers. The inner most layer that lets urine though, but keeps it off your skin. And also do not fully absorb urine or lock it away, which allows even once absorbed urine to come back into contact with your skin again. Basically, if what you're using ever feels clammy or wet after the first wetting, or a few hours, then you seriously need to consider something better. And don't let the cost of each diaper fool you, not only do you get what you pay for but a more expensive diaper can actually cost less per day thanks to needing fewer changes.

@Slomo: While I can appreciate your position, there are a few parts I don't observe (yet) and may disagree with.

First off, I use cloth diapers.  As such, you WILL feel the wetness after sufficiently drenching the diaper.  I'm fortunate enough that after a few days of (heavy) wetting a heavy diaper at night, and slight use of talc power I can get back to going with out talc powder and as long as I don't try to wear too long, I'm fine.  Ok, I'm wet and not messy when I use the diaper (and on the very rare occasion when messy happens, I make sure to change as soon as possible and clean up real well).  And when I'm on the edge of starting irritation (rash), I'll use talc powder for a couple of days and typically get back to normal.... 

I do use the regular (fuller strength 40% Zinc Oxide if I remember correctly) Desinex (sp?) (or equivalent generic store brand) when I need something more than the talc powder - for a few days before backing off to talc and then back to normal (nothing extra in the diaper)....  I'm also not wet all the time....  I also can wear a wet diaper for longer than I should (and I believe I'm more comfortable than most in wet cloth diapers).  Your mileage will likely very.

I'm not yet to the point of shaving down there....  I can see the point.  For me, my main issue is at night and a morning shower seems to be taking care of the main problem....  I'll agree I now have a light day time component and may be on the edge of needing to start changing before bed where in the past I could get away with waiting till morning.

As to Talc powder, I may have to schedule a trip to Europe or Australia when I finally get close to running out.  : (

• Like 1

9 hours ago, zzyzx said:

@Slomo: While I can appreciate your position, there are a few parts I don't observe (yet) and may disagree with.

First off, I use cloth diapers.  As such, you WILL feel the wetness after sufficiently drenching the diaper.  I'm fortunate enough that after a few days of (heavy) wetting a heavy diaper at night, and slight use of talc power I can get back to going with out talc powder and as long as I don't try to wear too long, I'm fine.  Ok, I'm wet and not messy when I use the diaper (and on the very rare occasion when messy happens, I make sure to change as soon as possible and clean up real well).  And when I'm on the edge of starting irritation (rash), I'll use talc powder for a couple of days and typically get back to normal.... 

I do use the regular (fuller strength 40% Zinc Oxide if I remember correctly) Desinex (sp?) (or equivalent generic store brand) when I need something more than the talc powder - for a few days before backing off to talc and then back to normal (nothing extra in the diaper)....  I'm also not wet all the time....  I also can wear a wet diaper for longer than I should (and I believe I'm more comfortable than most in wet cloth diapers).  Your mileage will likely very.

I'm not yet to the point of shaving down there....  I can see the point.  For me, my main issue is at night and a morning shower seems to be taking care of the main problem....  I'll agree I now have a light day time component and may be on the edge of needing to start changing before bed where in the past I could get away with waiting till morning.

As to Talc powder, I may have to schedule a trip to Europe or Australia when I finally get close to running out.  : (

Yeah, oops, thanks. I did forget to mention powder! Though talc powder is near impossible to get in the US now, corn starch works just as good.

The best time to apply powder is when you're changing but don't have time to air out first. It draws the moisture out of your skin, allowing you some time after diapering up as if you had aired out. Though I've found it's best to not use a whole lot all at once, or it will cake up into a wet mess that sticks to your skin. Which seems to negate any benefits you may have had at first.

On 4/7/2023 at 6:06 AM, Slomo said:

Yeah, oops, thanks. I did forget to mention powder! Though talc powder is near impossible to get in the US now, corn starch works just as good.

@Slomo: I claim corn starch doesn't work as good for me.  I think the talc powder helps neutralize PH balance where I don't think I get the same affect with corn starch.  It also doesn't feel the same to me, and I question if using corn starch would feed a yeast infection (when trying to start up).

I don't know anywhere in the US or Canada where one can find talc powder now.  The generic brands went off the market before J&J pulled their brand.  From other comments, I know its still available in Australia and Europe.  I stocked up while the stores were selling out the stock on hand.  Don't know how long that's going to last me....Yes there are some folks with concerns about talc powder, however it is the legal system not the medical system in the US that has caused this disappearing act.

I don't know anywhere in the US or Canada where one can find talc powder now.  The generic brands went off the market before J&J pulled their brand.  From other comments, I know its still available in Australia and Europe.  I stocked up while the stores were selling out the stock on hand.  Don't know how long that's going to last me....Yes there are some folks with concerns about talc powder, however it is the legal system not the medical system in the US that has caused this disappearing act.

I believe have seen products other that corn starch for body powder.  I can't recall the base ingredient but a google search may come up with a few things that are good alternatives. probably more expensive but if getting away from corn starch is the goal, may be worth looking into.

• 2 months later...

I have mentioned elsewhere something I think should be mentioned here.  "Airing out" is a big help to avoid rashes.  When time permits, I air out after my shower by sitting on an open diaper or a cloth booster pad for my cloth diapers, just in case...  

However when time is at a premium, to speed up the airing out process the best method is to use a hair dryer on the "cool" air setting.  This way it requires only minutes and is very effective.  Your wife or female partner may not want you to borrow hers all the time, so just get your own.  The most inexpensive one will do a great job.  The smaller "travel" version is more than adequate and will fold up to require less storage space.🙂

--John

1 hour ago, John Davis said:

I have mentioned elsewhere something I think should be mentioned here.  "Airing out" is a big help to avoid rashes.  When time permits, I air out after my shower by sitting on an open diaper or a cloth booster pad for my cloth diapers, just in case...  

However when time is at a premium, to speed up the airing out process the best method is to use a hair dryer on the "cool" air setting.  This way it requires only minutes and is very effective.  Your wife or female partner may not want you to borrow hers all the time, so just get your own.  The most inexpensive one will do a great job.  The smaller "travel" version is more than adequate and will fold up to require less storage space.🙂

--John

Yeah, airing out was in my original post here. And it can't be stated enough for the importance in preventing rashes. I had said laying out under a ceiling fan works really good, but have also used a hair dryer when time was short. The key takeaway is that moving or blowing air. 

• Like 1

recently tried oatmeal powder.  I found that I like the consistency and that the particular brand I got was unscented. .I'm not sure if it works better than  cornstarch, but i thought it worked really well..  Worth a shot if you use powder a lot like me.  I also like Caldecene powder. It contains zinc and creates a skin barrier like creams but is a dry powder..