1 thing I hate about some diapers

Zombie_Turtle

12 hours ago, Zombie_Turtle said:

That the bottom 2 tapes on some of the ones I like best cut into my thighs.  These are the mainly the landing zone type and the high absorbent ones.  

Anyone else have this issue?  Any novel ideas  about keeping it from being a nuisance?

Yes. I sort of had that exact same problem, but I need to explain the actual problem you're also experiencing.

Just my observations here; Nearly every diaper that has a tape landing zone will also have what I call a "no lower tapes design". This means if you look at the back wings, one tape will be near the center, with the other tape near the top. There literally are no lower tapes. This shift up in tape positioning is need to land the "lowest" tapes on the landing zone, which never extends down far enough.

So, in order for these diapers to get a good enough seal around the legs they are purposely undersized. For some this equals a good (albeit snug) fit. For others, like me, it means the legs will always be too tight. And in both cases the rise of the diaper always comes up short, though it seems some also prefer it. Usually just extending up to ones hips or belt line, but never up to the waist (near the belly button) like they really need to be.

When I try going up to the next size the rise of the diaper is good, and there is also some room all around in the diaper too. Which is needed for sap expansion- otherwise you may end up with the diaper splitting open after it has absorbed enough. Except now the diaper will also be too loose around the legs. Guaranteeing it will leak on me long before ever reaching even half it's expected absorption amount. So that's not an option for me either.

In short, they are all too tight around my legs, with not enough rise or room for expansion. Or, they are all too loose around my legs, with the proper amount of rise and room I need. My only solution was to use a different diaper that doesn't have a tape landing zone. Which really just comes down to my body shape needing a compatibly shaped diaper. And right now that's the Betterdry/Crinklz lineup.

Again though, that no lower tapes design does work for others, perfectly even. Just not for you or I.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yeah... If it were to wrap around to the front a few inches more it may not be right at my leg crease, and yes if I size up it seem way too big.  I also get a good fit out of the Betterdrys, but man! they just are not as comfortable or thick as the Incontrols.  The "lower" tapes on them seem to be the least bothersome of the bunch i've tried. maybe it just fit's me better.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Slomo said:

Yes. I sort of had that exact same problem, but I need to explain the actual problem you're also experiencing.

Just my observations here; Nearly every diaper that has a tape landing zone will also have what I call a "no lower tapes design". This means if you look at the back wings, one tape will be near the center, with the other tape near the top. There literally are no lower tapes. This shift up in tape positioning is need to land the "lowest" tapes on the landing zone, which never extends down far enough.

So, in order for these diapers to get a good enough seal around the legs they are purposely undersized. For some this equals a good (albeit snug) fit. For others, like me, it means the legs will always be too tight. And in both cases the rise of the diaper always comes up short, though it seems some also prefer it. Usually just extending up to ones hips or belt line, but never up to the waist (near the belly button) like they really need to be.

When I try going up to the next size the rise of the diaper is good, and there is also some room all around in the diaper too. Which is needed for sap expansion- otherwise you may end up with the diaper splitting open after it has absorbed enough. Except now the diaper will also be too loose around the legs. Guaranteeing it will leak on me long before ever reaching even half it's expected absorption amount. So that's not an option for me either.

In short, they are all too tight around my legs, with not enough rise or room for expansion. Or, they are all too loose around my legs, with the proper amount of rise and room I need. My only solution was to use a different diaper that doesn't have a tape landing zone. Which really just comes down to my body shape needing a compatibly shaped diaper. And right now that's the Betterdry/Crinklz lineup.

Again though, that no lower tapes design does work for others, perfectly even. Just not for you or I.

@Slomo: Thank you for this comment on tape landing zone and lower tapes.  The next time I try a Northshore Megamax on I'm going to have to look at this.  Even with two Northshore boosters I can end up leaking at the legs -- probably due in part to a poor seal, from what you mention.  Interesting. 

I've had a better luck on the last vacation using Tykables blue camies.  First, it was easier to gain the needed access during the day to use the restroom when needed without using or wrecking the diaper.  Second, I think I get a better seal through the legs.  Up till now I was thinking both the Megamax ans the Cammie should work similar, and both ted to work with a high capacity stuffer in front.  But I shouldn't need that much....  Now I think I could get away with an old style (6 tape) attends or depends with the Tykables high capacity stuffer in front....  I'll have to give that a try when I find an older depends still around stuffed in an out of the way place cause they didn't work..... Hmmm....

• Like 2

I dislike diapers with tape landing zones😟 for the reasons discussed above.  Landing zones require the tapes to be where they limit our ability to position them optimally for our personal shapes.  

For example, try MegaMax and then try MegaMax Air, the breathable version of the diaper without a tape landing zone.  I can position the tapes optimally on the MegaMax Air and have fewer leaks than with the MegaMax with the landing zone.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, zzyzx said:

Even with two Northshore boosters I can end up leaking at the legs -- probably due in part to a poor seal,

Ah, that may be contributing to your leaking too. Boosters are fine, but you have to make sure they aren't too thick or wide. Because of the leak barriers. They need to rest on you skin, otherwise any wetness can run right past them before it has a chance to be absorbed.

• Like 2

Just like Slomo and John said the ability to put tapes where they conform to the body makes sense to me.  I love Betterdry for the fit and they have never leaked on me likely because of this, but they landing zone is super helpful for me when i am changing and my depth perception is off.  Being able to position and then fix my mistake is super useful.  I made no landing zone diapers work by putting a piece of packing tape across the front of my diaper in line with the top tape.  This also helps it from stretching and sagging.

Since I have experienced the super capacity diapers I am hooked.  All that extra padding, elastic, and lining makes them so comfortable.  It's probably a trade off where I should be getting a better seal but rely on all that extra capacity....maybe. I also found the tape guides on the InControl diapers to be soooo dang helpful.  Hand/eye coordination and vision issues have caused me to wreck diapers trying to get them on straight.  Tape guides are easy.  I have even pre-drawn my own on Abenas when I used them. Sometimes its an issue other times not so much, but when I am in a flare and just can't do it for the life of me i'm really happy to have products that are easy to use, and allow for adjustments.

• Like 2

Does anybody else remember the old Attends 10 with waistbands? Those were the best for fit and conforming. You could readjust those tapes a half-dozen times if needed, and there was no landing zone, just a strong enough shell. And they had 3 tapes per side so the fit was always incredible, and they never sagged.

The fact modern diapers lack those features is what I hate. If we had that combined with modern absorbency and leak guards they would be unbeatable.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely see that point, but some of the landing zone diapers have been a huge help to me.  The Incontrol diapers are fantastic.  Yes, I still struggle with the bottom tape and comfort, but the features they have and capacity has allowed me to have more ease of use, and freedom to change when it's convenient.  I also have noticed I use fewer of them, and save money. 

I'd like to point out that i don't work for them, I just really appreciate their products. 😁  I think it's awesome they sponsored this site. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Zombie_Turtle said:

Definitely see that point, but some of the landing zone diapers have been a huge help to me.  The Incontrol diapers are fantastic.  Yes, I still struggle with the bottom tape and comfort, but the features they have and capacity has allowed me to have more ease of use, and freedom to change when it's convenient.  I also have noticed I use fewer of them, and save money. 

I'd like to point out that i don't work for them, I just really appreciate their products. 😁  I think it's awesome they sponsored this site. 

And this is what is great about the diaper market now .. we all have different bodys and its great that we have a selection now, what works for some might not for others 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Scarth said:

And this is what is great about the diaper market now .. we all have different bodys and its great that we have a selection now, what works for some might not for others 

@Scarth

what I don't like about some diapers is the fact that in my mind, you have to have a good diaper that's quality, And you also have to make sure that the diaper has good tabs and a way to attach together so that it does not cause you a problem. They always say that these diapers have the refashionable tabs, but basically what it is, is any diaper that is not a megamax for example, comes in two pieces, you end up taking both pieces off and then you're apparently going to stick the diaper tab in one position, then you take off the blue tab at the end, and apparently you can put it anywhere, but to me that is not refashionable, because that can rip the diaper and cause a problem because the tape also can get mucked up And then you have a problem.

I remember using north shore supremes, and they were awesome, but the problem also can be that the tapes are not as wide, and anything that you want to use for a diaper should have good quality tapes, wide enough to be able to stick and stay stuck. megamax has the landing zone, and that's helped me Because with the landing zone at least you can stick the tape on the right place. many times if you don't have a landing zone, what happens is you end up sticking the tape to anywhere on the diaper, and the tapes are sticky enough so that so that when you stick them down they're like sticking super glue together, and that isn't coming off!

I also agree that it's good that we have a selection in the diaper market now. I still wonder if you're here you're here Diaper companies will give us better choices without having to go to the next level, because the cheapest diapers don't actually do anything and they're not worthy of being called diapers, they're just dribblers, or bounty paper towels as I keep saying. The best thing to do is to have a good selection, because as has been stated everybody doesn't have the same body mechanics, everybody doesn't have the same frame, and what happens is diapers fit everyone differently, so it's always good to have a good selection, and one of the things that is important is that whatever selection we have, that it is a quality selection rather than just something made just to get by.

Brian

• Like 2

Re tape problems, although we have commented on the shortfalls of the tapes on some current diapers, our tapes now are much better than they were years ago.  When I began wearing diapers - about 10-11 years ago - the tapes frequently popped on all the brands of diapers I wore (quality diapers).  

The problem was so pervasive that I routinely reinforced the tapes with a thin strip of Duck brand duct tape.  I was able to quit doing that several years ago.  Please note that during the interveening years diaper capacities increased significantly, so the weight of the wet diaper went up accordingly, placing more strain on the tapes.

Today, it is unusual for me to have a tape fail and I wear premium diapers to near their capacity.  During the rare occasions that a tape pops, it is not a disaster as I always wear a diaper cover reinforced by a onesie.🙂

--John

• Like 2