How do you diaper -- easy to change or long time between changes

John Davis

How do you guys/gals diaper up?  Do you plan for the easiest diaper change or to stretch out the time between changes to the max?

For me, an "easy" diaper change would be to wear only the diaper with no other layers on top (cloth pullups or plastic pants) that would make a change difficult.  The idea is to avoid having to remove shoes and trousers in order to change.  Of course, this choice runs the risk of a leaky diaper wetting outer clothing.

I usually maximize the time between changes.  To stretch out the time between changes I wear a premium tabbed diaper with a booster, a thin cloth pullup to catch leaks, and then plastic pants on top.  I also wear a onesie to help support the diaper. This combination makes it very difficult for me to change without having to remove my shoes and trousers.🙁  Of course, some of you probably are more agile than I am.

So, how do you optimize your diapering?

--John

• Like 1

I guess I take an approach of both easy and time. I normally change in the morning about 1.5 hours after I get up. After I've done a little exercise and ate breakfast, and right after I normally take a shower. Then I change again about 14 hours later when I'm already undressing and getting ready for bed.

• Like 1

For me, I wear a diaper with 4 boosters that I can make it last for the entire day unless I poop or leak in them. Normally for me, in the morning, I get up, take my diaper off, shower, then make my bed and then put my Megamax diaper with 4 boosters on. Have breakfast and then go about my day. Only time I change, is if I leak or take a poop in my diaper after 12 to 21 hours, I change again for night time and I get ready for bed.

• Like 1

Interesting how long Slomo and Iken are able to last without a change.  I stay well hydrated and am a heavy wetter.  I usually need to change at about 6 hours and rarely risk going longer than 7 ½ hours.  However, on long car trips if I "diaper heavy" I usually can last for 12 hours.  Otherwise my changing habits are similar to Scarth.

--John

• Like 2

I use a quality diaper with a booster and plastic pants, usually with a onesie on top. I never considered using a pull up on top of my diaper. Do you think it really helps? Is the extra bulk a problem?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, John Davis said:

Interesting how long Slomo and Iken are able to last without a change.  I stay well hydrated and am a heavy wetter.  I usually need to change at about 6 hours and rarely risk going longer than 7 ½ hours.  However, on long car trips if I "diaper heavy" I usually can last for 12 hours.  Otherwise my changing habits are similar to Scarth.

--John

That's cause I wear diapers with boosters and I wear the Megamax diapers with Eterna boosters from Northshore. 

• Like 1

Dan, a thin cotton pullup over the diaper and under the plastic pants catches any overflow from the diaper.  Cotton will wick extremely well and prevents having a "pool" of pee in the plastic pants if the diaper leaks.🙂  The extra bulk is negligible.

I usually wear BetterDry with a BoostUps or NorthShore booster.  However, like Iken, for long car trips I usually put on a Megamax with a BoostUps booster pad.  I do add a thicker cloth pullup over that (plus plastic pants)

--John

On 5/28/2023 at 7:21 AM, John Davis said:

Dan, a thin cotton pullup over the diaper and under the plastic pants catches any overflow from the diaper.  Cotton will wick extremely well and prevents having a "pool" of pee in the plastic pants if the diaper leaks.🙂  The extra bulk is negligible.

I usually wear BetterDry with a BoostUps or NorthShore booster.  However, like Iken, for long car trips I usually put on a Megamax with a BoostUps booster pad.  I do add a thicker cloth pullup over that (plus plastic pants)

--John

I wear diapers with boosters because I want to make sure I can make it though the entire day without ever having to do a diaper change during the day. Just to make sure I can make it to dinner time for a diaper change.

6 hours ago, John Davis said:

Iken, you are fortunate to be able to make it through an entire day on one diaper.

--John

Yeap and I can make a diaper last all the way to dinner time unless I poop really badly.

On 5/27/2023 at 7:22 AM, John Davis said:

--John

What diaper are you using? And how may liters do you drink per day?

Admittedly I barely stay well hydrated, at just over 2 liters of liquids per day. For me, after 14-16 hours, at worst, one Betterdry/Criklz diaper might be soaked halfway up the back. I usually won't get an increased chance for leaks till about then anyways, so that's how long I normally go for.

Of note, each of my diapers is ISO rated to hold 148 Oz (4.3 liters) each. Real world rating tends to be 30 to 40 percent the ISO rating. Of most any diaper. So about 1.5 liters in 16 hours is about right for Betterdry/Crinklz. As a test I have been able to extend it to 24 hours in one diaper, but don't recommend that for skin health, smell, sagging weight, and not to mention the sagging weight.

• Like 1

I usually wear a BetterDry diaper (ISO 5,300 ml) with a BoostUps booster (max absorbency 1L).  I wear a cotton pullup over the diaper, then usually PUL diaper cover.  I drink about 90+ oz per day.  I usually take a nap in the afternoon and that changes my body position for diaper absorbency (uses most of the rear part of the diaper).  I use 3 primary diapers per day and a disposable pullup or cheap diaper as an "in-between" diaper to fill the gap between major changes.

--John

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, John Davis said:

I usually wear a BetterDry diaper.... I drink about 90+ oz per day.

That makes sense then. You're taking in about 50% more water than me, and needing to use about 50% more diapers (of the same type) that I do. Congrats on the higher water intake too.

• Like 1

I do both approaches.  I have megamax thick briefs for overnight or many hours which I can wear until a bm.  These briefs are expensive and bulky so it's really important to use them fully even if they are heavy.  And then there are my molicares and wellness superios which can be worn for 4-6 hours or until a bm.  They are cheaper, thinnner and more comfortable.  They are worn for working out or biking or working.    Either way, I wear a waterproof opaque over with leg elastics with a onesie or singlet on top for support and to hide the brief.  I am often dehydrated and have to make a point of drinking more water.